A little Jeep tour near Granite

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a rental Jeep up Lost Canyon road next to Granite Colorado today. I was a worried the weather would make it a boring trip with nothing to see, boy was I wrong! The top of the road is over 12,500 foot and it put us up above the clouds. It was the most incredible view, being surrounded by 14er mountains peaking out through the clouds. The pics just can't do the scenes justice. Saw deer, chipmonks, some kind of prairie chickens (what we call them in OK), and this very curious marmot. He was the only one close enough to get a pic of.

P8050133.JPG P8050130.JPG P8050146.JPG P8050151.JPG

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you detect around that old cabin?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad to hear you are enjoying our beautiful state despite the rains today. It'll clear soon! Meanwhile I hope you get to gold prospect...that's rich ground!!

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you detect around that old cabin?

No, I didn't even bring the detector on this trip. My son and I sat inside that cabin and ate lunch. Looking out over the mountain view that miner had so long ago. We talked about the strength and determination that cabin took. Hand hewn logs brought up from the valley below, hand forged square nails still sticking out of the logs. The view from the front door would be worth a million dollars! The hike up and down to the mine, not so great, LOL

Glad to hear you are enjoying our beautiful state despite the rains today. It'll clear soon! Meanwhile I hope you get to gold prospect...that's rich ground!!

Got the dredges in the river, been pulling as much as I can. That water is fast, fast, fast! Can't get out in the middle like I want, so I'll just have to see how much I can get closer to the edge. lots of cleanouts, and running everything through the cube back and camp.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, the monsoon rains hit us hard today. Everything was running fast and high. It'll settle down for next week says the weather forecast :)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was that route one that RGINN suggested? He didn't steer you wrong if it was! Beautiful pics.

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that route one that RGINN suggested? He didn't steer you wrong if it was! Beautiful pics.

No, the rental shop didnt suggest that pass because all the rain would have the roads in bad shape. This was one the shop suggested. Next time I hope to hit some new spots.

OP
OP
Jason in Enid

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No, the rental shop didnt suggest that pass because all the rain would have the roads in bad shape. This was one the shop suggested. Next time I hope to hit some new spots.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope your trip is rewarding and lots of gold shines in your pan. I can't imagine you not taking your detector with you. You are quite resourceful when it comes to detecting.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe shoot for Mosquito pass next time. I got pretty far up it in a 65' scout in the early 80' once. I wanted to go over the top, but the little slant 4 cylinder was just about running at half the power it had at that high elevation. Lots of old mines up in that district to explore.

Attachments

• 16566.jpg
    16566.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 46

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's such a great area! There is a lot of stuff off the beaten path around there! Hope you got to hike around and explore!!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I was gonna see some pics of the reformatory down there. (Jason will get it, as he didn't specify Granite, CO in the title, haha!) Excellent! Been up there a couple of times and it does have great views. Interesting cemetery up there and a lost treasure tale or two about Lost Canyon. Sorry I didn't think about it being Monsoon season up here and consider that on where to go. (No more rain than we've had around this area, you could have handled any of the routes in Chaffee County, but the jeep rental people need to look after their property.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread