Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many mornings I have woke up on my days off to a hooting under the bedroom window. I chuckle now when I hear the neighbor trying to get a gobbler to sound off:tongue3:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should be seeing those guys around my neighborhood soon. They come for the many rabbit around in the yards.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always fun to see. They're showing up in my area now and they can really clean up on cottontail's around the neighborhood. Sometimes I'll find bits of bunny fur, flesh and guts under the trees from where the rip em up. I hear them hoot'n 2 to 3 hours before sunrise now. They seem to be passing messages to each other.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They love chickens, one flew through the glass window of my buddies chicken coup and killed 3 chickens, even after suffing a broken wing, he was still in the coup when he went to check on them in the am, they attack at night as they are nocturnal.

I put chicken wire over my windows on my coup even though they are plexi glass after seeing that.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once upon a time ago, I saw one siting on the side of the road on the way back from church. We turned around and "captured" it. It had been hit by a car, head injury. Took it to the rehab place, they thought for sure it would die, but it didn't and was later released. Got to pet it.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a song.......

Who's that hooting in my tree,

it's got to be a quarter to three,

It's that Owl again,

and he's buggin me....

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Great pix! I love hearing owls. Had the doors and windows open last night and heard two Great Horned Owls hooting at each other. Couldn't spot them as they were across the street in one of the neighbor's trees. I've also had screech owls in the back yard, but not this year yet or at least I haven't heard any

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Great pix! I love hearing owls. Had the doors and windows open last night and heard two Great Horned Owls hooting at each other. Couldn't spot them as they were across the street in one of the neighbor's trees. I've also had screech owls in the back yard, but not this year yet or at least I haven't heard any

Speak of the devil, the screech owl just started calling about 5 minutes ago haha

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
They sure do blend in against the trunk of that tree. I came up on an owl unexpectedly one time. It was daylight, and I guess it was sleeping in a shed. Anyhow, as I was walking by the shed, the startled owl flew, just missing my head. When he took off, he lightened the load he was packing, and a stream of white stuff just missed my nose by probably less than an inch. Sure got my attention.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the hooting is to draw in a mate and stake his hunting zone..i can speak owl well enough to call them to a tree nearby in my yard---learned to do it for turkey hunting

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread