oregon coast

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Daughter was here for a visit from Denver, so we took a day trip to the coast. Weather was great and we had a nice time. Took hiway 42 to Bandon, then drove north to Winchester Bay, at the mount of the Umpqua River near Reedsport, and ate dinner. Then drove home on hiway 138, making it a big circle. Don't know how many miles, but it was a long day.

Bandon North Jetty.jpg
We are standing at the south jetty looking at some people salmon fishing in the entrance of the Coquille River in Bandon, the north jetty in the background. There were several boats, and nobody caught a fish while we were there.

Bandon1.jpg
Still by the south jetty at Bandon, looking south. For those who play golf, there are some pretty nice golf courses around Bandon, and a whole bunch of cranberry bogs. One hasn't got nothing to do with the other, just thought I'd mention it.

cape arago1.jpg

We drove north from Bandon to Cape Arago. This picture is looking south towards Bandon. There are about 200 resident whales that live off this cape, and there were whale watchers on site, but no whales showed while we were there.

sunset bay.jpg

sunset bay1.jpg
Tucked in on the north side of Cape Arago is Sunset Bay, a protected little shallow beach area that is just perfect for kids to play in the water. It's a state part now, and there is camping and detecting is permitted with a permit from the resident state ranger. If you find something really valuable they want you to turn it in so they can try and find the owner.

Simpson Reef5.jpg
This is Simpson Reef, still at Cape Arago. The gold laden Spanish galleons from the Philippines would make land fall this far north, and sometimes even further north, then the trade winds would drive them south down the coast to Mexico. Apparently at least one of them ended up on the rocks at Simpson reef, because there are stories of people finding Spanish gold coins along the beach after a storm. I went and detected that beach and all I found was sinkers.

Simpson Reef4.jpg
This is a telephoto of the sea lions out on the rocks in the first picture of the reef. There sure are a bunch of them all barking at once seems like.

Simpson Reef3.jpg
Simpson Reef2.jpg
More telephotos of the sea lions.

Simpson Reef1.jpg
Looking south from Simpson Reef at the sunlight on the water.

crow.jpg
And this guy was squawking, wanting a hand out, but he didn't get one.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
What you are seeing in the water, especially in the telephotos are kelp beds. Kelp is a sea weed that attaches to the sea floor, with a round bulb full of air at the top, that floats, so that if you are under water it's kind of like being in a forest of trees. Don't know if you noticed, but the crowds of people are enough to drive a person nuts.

A couple of pictures of kelp from Google.
kelp-forest1.jpg

Kelp.jpg

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A really beautiful place that looks enjoyable even without a daughter I"d bet:icon_thumright:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Many years ago my family would vacation at Sunset Beach. Thanks for the photos, Oregon Viking.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like this where I live. Sounds like a wonderful day trip.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread