Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it's time for the annual company wide photo contest. A whole bunch of us entered about 4 years ago when it first started, and when we saw what they picked as winners decided the judges were more familiar with the operation of an etch-a-sketch instead of a camera, so we've had nothin to do with it since. Looks like their judging has gotten a little better, so I thought I might enter somethin in one of this year's categories. You've seen this pick before, but I went back down to BV today and got some more shots. Then I doctored the crap out of it with my photo program, way beyond the 'one click photo fix' that I actually know how to use. Which one's best, and any tips or pointers?

Attachments

• 5-24e.jpg
    5-24e.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 10-4d.jpg
    10-4d.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 10-4i.jpg
    10-4i.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 10-4j.jpg
    10-4j.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 70

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Number one but it would have been better if you didn't cut off the top of the mountain. Did you crop it? If you did you might try reframing it.

If not, I still like that one best.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's always a matter of taste, but for me, #3 is the most vivid. Like Doubter said, #1 would be better if the mountain peak was in the pic.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naw I didn't crop it. We see mountains all the time so I guess my focus was on the rig. Funny thing is it looks like the mountains have shrunk in the last few months. Probably due to the lighting. Best time to take pics lookin west up here is from about 8 to 11 in the morning, which I knew, but showed up later anyway.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. 3, Seems the most epic looking to me.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I also like #1 the best, but as previously mentioned, I wish very strongly that the mountains hadn't been lost. They make a very bold statement, and are a strong part of your local flavor. Therefore, I've got to go with #3. I like that the Pines in #3 are brighter, not to mention the rock details to the left.

Overall, I have to say #3.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Bottom left ( 3?).
Colors honk.
They are reflected on the trailer from multiple angles complementing the trucks " work cloths".
There is a magic end of day lighting that is still bright ,but hides flaws in a trucks finish...an unbuffed black paint that is dull looking earlier looks young/new for a few minutes.(Experience not from photography but rather from black paint on a un polished regularly truck :laughing7:).
The peaks in the first pic look neat ,but the shot gets busy and peaks framed would be ...well...peaks framed , rather than caravan shot.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Toss up between 2 and 3, but favor 3.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number 3 for me. The green boat(?) in picture 1 greatly detracts from overall quality. It is barely visible in the rest of them.

Enginefitter

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, toss up between 2 and 3.

To be honest with you, all I saw was that split windshield truck.

Great photo's though.

Engine

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the input. #3 is good, but I like #1 for the fact it isn't enhanced. That's how it looks if you were walkin down the road and went by there. I got a month yet, so maybe wait and we'll get more snow on the mountains, and I'll go down there earlier in the day and get a better light angle. The main reason I even care to enter and win is about 99% of the winners have been folks from the front range stores. And the pics they take are from the mountains and the western slope, where we actually live and work. Whatever prizes the contest has ain't no big deal to me, but kinda cool to put those rascals back in their place.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are trying for the vintage look you might want to take that modern tag off the front bumper for the photo shoot. I agree with you on an early morning shoot. The colors are more intense then.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey rg, I have to go with no. 3. Two reasons.....I like no. 1 best except for the orange tag on the fence rail and the distraction of the bright green thing in the pic behind the camper. Might have been neat to have someone in your cowboy hat driving it and kicking up a little dust. Nice rig though. Is that mama's camper??

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a late update, since I been busier and they took their time announcing winners. I never got a better shot, but I entered the #3 you see here in the "Outdoor Activities" category, made finalist, then won first. That gets me a $200 gift card and they use the pic in a calendar they put together to benefit a charity. Thanks for y'all's input. Best thing, I believe I can introduce myself as a 'prize winning photographer' now, as long as I don't go in to too many details, haha!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how did I miss a thread asking for an opinion??

anyways, My opinion is that the truck should belong to me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions