Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ways to mark "iffy" targets

A couple of weeks ago someone posted regarding if anyone locates a signal and instead of digging, they mark the spot and then go back and dig later. This method of marking a target was brought up by someone else so won't take the credit. However I have found it to be a good idea. It goes like this: Select a workable plot to detect and run the entire plot marking your target hits with a golf tee. Then go back and dig where you marked the signals. Make sure the plot is small enough so you can have time to dig all the hits.
Here's how I work it: I select a plot and detect over it, digging the "good" solid hits where I know from experience my detector has indicated a "good" signal. I define a good signal as one that is a double dinger, sounding off in both directions over the target. When I hit an "iffy" target I will place a golf tee over it and after I have pretty well covered the plot and if I have time remaining I go back and dig the iffy signals, recovering my tees. A couple of times I left my tees out overnight and so far no one has bothered them. But I imagine sooner or later another detectorist will pick them up alnd take them home as a souvineer! Painting them florescent orange makes them pretty easy to see even in the grasss. M :o nty

Attachments

• Signal markers 001.jpg
    Signal markers 001.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 329
  • Signal markers 002.jpg
    Signal markers 002.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 332

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Ways to mark "iffy" targets

What about that four leaf clover did you pick it up? ;D I like the idea. Did you keep track what turned out to be good items if any?
Burdie

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Thanks Monty...what a great idea!!! That just may come in handy for our next Pipsico Hunt in Oct/Nov too....this way we could do a bunch of detecting, mark the spot and go back when it's cooler (or whatever the weather will be then...and if it's getting dark, we can dig in the morning).

I knew there had to be something good about golfing LOL!

Thanks for the great tip!
HH,
Annmarie

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice tip Monty.. I use poker chips one color for silver one for nickle tones... Works great..
Ray

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

I was wondering why I keep finding golf tees!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah Monty, I recall that thread well... like I said on there, it was something that had gone through my mind every time I detect. I had personally thought the tin wire flags would be good, but yours seemed more logical because people would think much of a golf tee...
Good job on yours, they look good!!

Bran <><

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

Monty...this is one of those ideas that you wonder how in the world you didn't think about it; especially if you have more golf tees in the basement than you'll ever use. Thanks

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think we should have someone follow Monte around and MOVE HIS GOLF TEE's!!! ;D

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That 4 leaf clover is really what we have always called "Sheepshire". No idea where or how it go its name. We use to chew on them when I was a kid. They have a sharp acidic taste not too much unlike sour candies. Wish it was a 4 leaf clover or even a shamrock. I have only found one 4 leaf clover in my life and I use to have it under one of the clear plastic thingies in my billfold. Somewhere in the past couple of years it turned to dust! Monty

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

Monty did you sharpen those tees up with a pencil sharpener? I love the idea, just make sure you pull them before the mower comes by :D.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neat idea, Monty. I used the red flags to grid off an area in the pasture when I was hunting Indian artifacts. Needless to say, the next morn all the flags were missing. Curious calves pulled them up to test the taste. Then I had to MD to find those wires.

;) RR

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

That's a great idea but one better might be that at Home depot, etc. they sell little flags on a wire for marking sprinkler systems. They'd be higher up and easier to find. Just a thought.

StickShift

Dec 1, 2005
USA

Sometimes I've had different categories of sure, or iffy signals, if you might have experienced this you could color your tees in three different colors, one for Sure, another for Almost Sure, and another for
Iffy.
Florescent colors are very vivid in pink, yellow, and orange which all of these colors could be highly visable in most settings, except yellow in late fall in some areas.
SS

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've been the wire and flag route and it didn't work out too well. It's hard to carry a bunch of them, they get bent and will work their way through a cloth apron or bag and wind up sticking you. They hurt too when they stick you in the finger...or other places! I thought about using different colors to indicate different depths so I would know how deep to dig, but it just takes a sec to pull the tee and run your coil over the spot to get a depth reading. I'm getting so absent minded I have to KISS (keep it simple stupid)! but it works for me. Monty

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

On a serious note monty did you find any good items at the iffy spots? Just curious.
Burdie

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000

Good question, Burdie. I was going to ask the same thing.

Except, didn't you see his thread about his war with the squirrels? ;D I'll betcha, every time that Monty would put a tee down and turn around, one of those doggone squirrels would run behind him and steal it. Eh, Monty? LOL Just like the gopher in the movie "Caddie Shack" with Bill Murray. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Actually, Monty, I like the golf tee idea. Remind me to follow you during the Chisholm Trail Hunt..LOL....I'll dig your iffy spots while you're putting down the next tee...LOL
--Mel

borninok

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sure I found stuff at my iffy sites, lots of classic pulltabs, some lawnmower slaw and oh yeah, a rusted something that ran off before I could get it into the pouch. Actually and truthfully,...no I mean really, I'm serious now ....I haven't been doing this long enough to really find out about the iffys. But when I dig as I go I have found one gold man's wedding band at an iffy and a couple of aluminum tokens, and other assorted junque and crape'. No reason to believe I wouldn't continue to find somethng good once in a while at an iffy site. I only plan to use this technique when I am rushed for time and have a small plot. Time remaining I will hit the iffys, but I want to hit the sure fire signals first especially when coin shooting. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread