Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks, New Mexico

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a day off today so I found this place and went for a hike.

It was a fantastic experience. The pictures will never reveal the magic these mountains have radiating from them. This is on the Chochiti Reservation near Santa Fe NM.

Just spectacular.

IMG_7843.jpg

IMG_7868.jpg

IMG_7880.jpg

IMG_7916.jpg

IMG_7926.jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a cool place to visit. It is awesome how erosion can cause some amazing wonders.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I've never heard of that place and I've been in a lot of places in New Mexico. Kind of looks like the terrain going north of SF towards Española? I had a couple underground copper mines in the Silver City area I made two to three trips to each month back in the 1990s, but they've been closed now for sometime. About 3 years ago Mama got a really good Groupon deal at a nice place in Santa Fe for 3 nights. She really had fun shopping and dining on the plaza in old Santa Fe. I really enjoy the history of that part of New Mexico.

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
IMG_1166.jpg Tent Rocks are about 20 miles from home. Glad you enjoyed the experience.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
actually thinking of vacationing in SF next year
thanks for the peek

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
actually thinking of vacationing in SF next year
thanks for the peek

Ya Jeff, a lot of people that drive thru this State have said "Why would anyone live there?"
Driving on I40 I can understand their reasoning. Those thoughts were in my mind also 30 years ago when moving here. Truth though if driving 10 miles or so off the Interstate a whole lot changes.
What I liked was so much open land with so few people. Seemed like I could go anywhere. So much of the State is BLM, wilderness, and parks. 5th largest State with 2 million people.
SF is a treat in itself. Though only 70 miles away and I've been there countless times mostly working I still like going there.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other

Poor Wiley. He's on the end of everyone's gun sight.
The village I live has a sign on the outskirts of town that says "Coyotes Live IN Corrales"
as there are some types that protect life no matter how troublesome. They might have never lost a small dog, cat, chicken, duck etc.
The animals are predators, opportunists, sneaky but so are we humans.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya Jeff, a lot of people that drive thru this State have said "Why would anyone live there?"
Driving on I40 I can understand their reasoning. Those thoughts were in my mind also 30 years ago when moving here. Truth though if driving 10 miles or so off the Interstate a whole lot changes.
What I liked was so much open land with so few people. Seemed like I could go anywhere. So much of the State is BLM, wilderness, and parks. 5th largest State with 2 million people.
SF is a treat in itself. Though only 70 miles away and I've been there countless times mostly working I still like going there.

a few years back we drove through, stopping for the night in alber(whatever)ky, next day on way to friends in phoenix we went off the interstate and took a trail.
loved it! found a piece of pottery, but left it as the rules state
always have wanted to go back and explore more
I like looking for indian artifacts and now metal detecting too

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The National Park HQ and BLM information office are both located right off the interstate. I suggest stopping at both for maps and more information.

It's on the south side of town.

Best of luck!
Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 5.01.34 PM.png

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
a few years back we drove through, stopping for the night in alber(whatever)ky, next day on way to friends in phoenix we went off the interstate and took a trail.
loved it! found a piece of pottery, but left it as the rules state
always have wanted to go back and explore more
I like looking for indian artifacts and now metal detecting too

When first moving here I was at a place called Ojo Caliente (hot eye sp) and while wandering I stumbled
on literally mounds of pottery fragments. Kids at some of the pueblos sell them 50 cents.
No one is positive why some were broken and some buried when the people left.
I kind of thought when a pot breaks it is further broken and returned to the earth.
Traditional natives will allow an adobe home to "melt" back to the earth when it's time is here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread