Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr is what we call our adopted grandson. He's 18 months old and this is our first Xmase with him. I do some woodworking when I have time and my daughter asked if I would build him a toy box that looks like a boat. It was quite a challenge but I'm happy with the way it turned out. Thought I'd share some pictures. IMG_20161129_104751250_HDR.jpg IMG_20161129_122026826_HDR.jpg IMG_20161130_090946850.jpg IMG_20161130_090946850.jpg IMG_20161130_100256788_HDR.jpg IMG_20161130_100325431.jpg IMG_20161201_103847170.jpg IMG_20161201_103830559.jpg

HH RN

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo_camera.gif
You "do some woodworking" - dang - will you "do some woodworking" for me? OUTSTANDING!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Your a regular Gepetto. Nice shop:icon_thumleft:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is cool!

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Your a regular Gepetto. Nice shop:icon_thumleft:
That's funny! Thanks. Had to look it up, didn't know who you were talking about.

HH RN

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you'll have happy little fellow at Xmas! Weel done and nice shop also ;)

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. That is incredible. You have a wonderful talent and I bet " Mr " will be the recipient of even more great gifts.:occasion14:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wife just had a great idea - if you had built it a little larger, MR could have stored toys below deck and slept on his mattress above deck.

Put the whole thing on locking casters so is easy to clean behind.

...She said SHE wants to be a MR....so where's HERS??!??!?? :laughing7:

Also, you might want to consider adding these to your boat:

2016.12.07 toy box lid support.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wife just had a great idea - if you had built it a little larger, MR could have stored toys below deck and slept on his mattress above deck.

Put the whole thing on locking casters so is easy to clean behind.

...She said SHE wants to be a MR....so where's HERS??!??!?? :laughing7:

Also, you might want to consider adding these to your boat:

View attachment 1389113
Thanks Kcm. The mattress idea has came up. Would work well if bigger. I tried those lid supports but they weren't strong enough so I used this one. Works well. IMG_20161207_062901272_HDR.jpg

HH RN

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Kcm. The mattress idea has came up. Would work well if bigger. I tried those lid supports but they weren't strong enough so I used this one. Works well. View attachment 1389136

HH RN

Looks pretty heavy. Sure wouldn't want the li'l tyke to be under it and it come crashing down! ...What about these?
Replacement Springs

There's one of these rated for 250 lbs. and 28" length.

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are two things I made for xmas last year. First is a clothes hamper for the little women. Resemble an outhouse. out1.jpg out2.jpg out3.jpg

Second is a trashcan/ tator box. The silo is were you keep the trash bags. Tall section is for trash, lower part for potatoes/onions
barn 1.jpg barn 2.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I best not let my wife see your outhouse hamper! ...Am sorta without a shop at the moment, but she'd have me out there in the blowing snow and howling wind building one!! :occasion14:

That's some nice work. Where do you get your plans from? (if I may ask...)

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I best not let my wife see your outhouse hamper! ...Am sorta without a shop at the moment, but she'd have me out there in the blowing snow and howling wind building one!! :occasion14:

That's some nice work. Where do you get your plans from? (if I may ask...)
No plans. I just come up with an idea, sketch it out, then have at it. I've built a couple of the trash cans and everyone is a little different.

HH RN

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That makes you doubly talented. :icon_thumleft: I can (or rather, could) build just about anything, but was always difficult for me to come up with original ideas. I can see a photo of something, then build or modify what I see, but never have been much able to design from scratch. ...At least, having to do with woodworking. I can engineer many tools and equipment, but for utility; not aesthetics.

OP
OP
relic nut

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kcm. I enjoy it, but have to be in the mood if you know what I mean. If things aren't going good I have to walk away and come back to it later. The wife drives me nuts about building things, especially around Xmas.

HH RN

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I spent 26 years actively in woodworking. Even tried to get a business going, building octagon-shaped picnic tables of white oak to sell through Wal-Mart, but they would only allow me to test in one store. I needed several more to cover my costs and keep the prices reasonable. Had a blast designing all the machinery, which was one way I could build them for less. Was also trying to buy the logs, then mill and dry myself - again using self-designed/built equipment. ...But I just can't seem to figure out how to design for aesthetics.

Made some things for a craft show down in Houston (Astro Hall, next to Astrodome) one time. Bought my booth and had my stuff set out. My prices were a bit low, yet only sold one piece, even though people kept gawking over how nice it was. I'm just no good at figuring out what people want. :BangHead:

Was at another craft show and a woman walked up to me swearing that my work was cut out using a laser. I just smiled and said 'Thank you!" :laughing7: So most of my woodworking has been for gifts. Spent many years in construction though, specializing in home repair and improvement. Man, talk about a crap job! Having to go back all the time and fix the scab work of other contractors! Don't miss that at all!!

Now it's pretty difficult to lift boards a couple of hours a day. Doing that for one day would have me recuperating for the next week. Have been wanting to make a special type of jointer/planer that can hog off lots of thickness in one pass, but just don't have the need for it now. Would have used a system of a router on a horizontally-sliding jig (front-to-back and side-to-side), and then do a final pass through a planer.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are a craftsman RN, :notworthy: Where do you find the time? I work an 8 hour per day job plus an hour a night preparing for the next day, and detect all weekend. During my spare time I am here on Tnet or researching and working on more permissions. You must really be good at time management. For safety reasons I would not install the lid on the toy box until the child gets a little older.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread