I want it! Smart phone for reference.

DSCN1492.JPG

DSCN1493.jpg

Should I take this too?

DSCN1507.JPG

Well, I guess I will roll it.....

DSCN1512.JPG

DSCN1514.JPG

Take a right, and then I can roll it down hill to a road. It's stashed in some brush right now.

DSCN1517.JPG

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the day before owls, murletts and greenies, that would have been a pond lillie. No mill ponds or pond saws anymore. Back in the day of wigwam burners, they'd give that stuff away for firewood. I guess I shouldn't blame the owl for everything, the market for wood chips did away with free pond lillies before the owl shut down the woods.

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Success!!!
We opted (wife and I) to put it in the mini van as it is lower. She said.... Nope! Damn!! We leaned it partially in the back so that we would be only lifting half of it.... or so. She was glad I can lift the rear end of a mini truck. (back in the day...) Heavy. Saturated with sea water I'll guess. It looks like redwood to me. Now I want to walk the entire beach and look for more.....

DSCN1531.JPG

DSCN1532.JPG

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I could lift it on one shoulder but two would balance better

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The pitch ring makes me think it's Doug Fir.

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a quick ring count. 20 rings 15 inches across... (half) of the tree)
300 years old? No way. rings are close, real close.
I will do a factual count in the day light...

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife backed in to it..... So now she asked... What are you going to do with it?

I told her.... Well it would make a good safety barrier.....

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a quick ring count. 20 rings 15 inches across... (half) of the tree)
300 years old? No way. rings are close, real close.
I will do a factual count in the day light...

Lighter colored rings are during the summer months, while darker rings are winter months. If you'll notice, the lighter rings are wider than the darker rings. So one light and one dark ring = 1 year. In years of severe drought, it will be very easy to miss a set of rings, as the tree would show little growth.

Just looked up your area. Have never visited there, but from what I understand, trees normally grow pretty quick there.

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lighter colored rings are during the summer months, while darker rings are winter months. If you'll notice, the lighter rings are wider than the darker rings. So one light and one dark ring = 1 year. In years of severe drought, it will be very easy to miss a set of rings, as the tree would show little growth.

Just looked up your area. Have never visited there, but from what I understand, trees normally grow pretty quick there.
Sure..sure. Except the old growth fir....And the Redwoods. And this "block" has been in the ocean for... Who knows.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So your a Dendrologist

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, good job. I found a 300 lb piece of petrified tree trunk while hunting a creek for artifacts, I rolled that piece over a hundred yards to the road side then couldn't get it into my truck, had to hide it in the weeds and go get someone to help me get it in my truck...

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the TN members showed me a petrified tree trunk he's got standing up in his backyard. Thing looked pretty heavy. It was like sculpted yard art. Around where the old coalmine's are here I find some petrified wood the miners dug out of the mines. I spotted a small trunk base, I planned on retrieving one day, but in talking to an other fella on the path and he was telling me him and a buddy already took it. I checked and it's now gone. Snooze you lose I guess.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
So your a Dendrologist

Oh?? My apologies - I'll get some Selsan Blue in town today! :tongue3:

...That's a term I don't hear of much. As for your thoughts that it has spent a long time in the ocean, not necessarily. We live fairly close to the Red River, and it floods every -- single -- year!! One year when it flooded especially bad, we went for a drive that direction once the roads were open for local traffic only. The bridge going into ND was still closed, as crews always have to check the bridge for structural integrity. Anyway, we were driving through what looked like a driftwood battlefield!! County crews had gotten most of the debris off onto the side of the road, but there were still some pieces that I moved, just to keep anything from snagging on the underside. We brought back a healthy load of driftwood. What I learned from that experience was the truly awesome power of a flooded river and what it will do to wood. The vast majority of wood was green - meaning, it was alive and growing before the flood event. However, it looked as though it had been long-dead and weathered. How was this possible? Well, even though this is pretty much flat land, the river was swollen out that year about 15-20 miles wide, where it's normally only 70 yards or so. Water was going through dense forests as well as open farm fields. This is a windy area and one open field even had white caps! Driving through there reminded me a lot of driving through the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway in Louisiana, except that this water was mostly no more than 2' to 3' deep. All you could see in any direction was water - for MILES!! Only a little hint of greenery now and then where a tree line would be popping out. It was windy, but not nearly as bad as this area is known for. We stopped and chatted with a couple of the crew workers, who were also a great help in learning about these massive flood events.

In any case, the majority of really cool and interesting driftwood that we brought home was green. The wife thought it was just heavy from being in the water. However, I scraped a little bit on a few of the pieces and showed her the green and yellow colors - the colors of the wood when it's alive and fresh. She was amazed...as I must admit, so was I. Most of these pieces looked as though they had been dead for months; maybe years. Some were so heavy that I struggled to load them, and others she wanted I simply had to leave behind.

I forget how far it is from Hallock to the Red River, but is several miles. Most of that way was flooded. Driving that road, the main road had just gotten above the water again (some areas still had water over the road). On the side roads, you could see cars parked in the middle of nowhere with nobody around, as the only way for these people to get in and out of their homes was by boat. The wife has also told me how she grew up the same way, having to move out of the house each Spring as floodwaters would overtake everything and they'd always come home to having to clean the house, which would always have several feet of water in it. She said it was simply normal for them, and she never knew back then that this was not a normal life. :laughing7:

Anyway, the point of all this is to say that it's extremely difficult to look at a piece of wood that has been in active water, and know how long it has been there or how long it has been dead. Yes, your log does look like it was dead for quite some time and probably seasoned, even if naturally. But is a really cool piece, and my wife would have had me getting it home as well!! :tongue3:

Btw, we (mostly she) ended up making a driftwood fence to go along part of our driveway. It lasted a few years, but has since been torn down, as wood doesn't tend to last long in this area.

....Was also very active in woodworking for 26 years; everything from felling the trees to milling the wood to drying the lumber to finished product. So a Dendrologist, no....just knowledge from personal experiences.

OP
OP
Oregon Viking

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have Redwoods around here, (scroll down for some OMG pics) Redwood Hikes

And this great photos. Redwood National + State Parks - California

The old growth Redwoods are protected and this "block" is nowhere near that large as the above pics show.
We also have old growth fir, we leave that be too. Years ago I purchased a small warehouse from a gentleman that was full of straight grain lumber.
20 foot 2 x 6's.... A real 2' x6". That kinda stuff. I could name my price! I built at least two homes with all straight grain lumber.

Thing is this block was next to a path..... I'am going back down to the beach... It is covered in drift... and look for more!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
That is very nice too, would make a great plant, unless you could find another like it then make a bench with that as the ends.

Now that drift burl behind it is great, just a good cleaning, level the bottom and place a nice glass top on that.

I am not sure where you live but I wish we had drift that nice, at best we might find a little stick during the worse part of the year.

You get you a good Yak cart or even make one like what you would use on the PA 17t Yak with those sand tires, I think you could make some god money with that wood there. Not everyone who like natural wood in their house has access to it other than what they find on the market.

The other may not be buried so deep, you may want to check, if you got lucky you could get a total of 30 inches out of it, cut that in half and then you ave bench ends, clearly with that gold mine in those pictures you have access to finding natural backs and seating planks.

Cool stuff man.

I want it! Smart phone for reference.

View attachment 1389038

View attachment 1389043

Should I take this too?

View attachment 1389039

Well, I guess I will roll it.....

View attachment 1389040

View attachment 1389042

Take a right, and then I can roll it down hill to a road. It's stashed in some brush right now.

View attachment 1389041

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread