Canon

frostytiger

Mar 16, 2007
SE Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm III
CountryGirl, and Don in SJ,
I've enjoyed your pics immensely, the Canon S3 IS is a great camera by the looks of it. Since viewing your posts, I've been thinking about buying one, I have a Kodak EasyShare 5MP right now, but love taking pictures of nature. I've been checking out the Canon S5 IS, which is an 8MP. Mama says IF I get one it will be my last for a long while, what do you guys think?

Frosty

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
I got one too Frosty and I have no regrets whatsoever...just a bit tricky at first...

Here's one I took with mine...

Wasp getting some water.JPG

You will definitely enjoy it!

Attachments

• Wasp getting some water.JPG
    Wasp getting some water.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 232

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
Frosty...you need to tell Mama taht you will get one when ever you want!!

Then run like HE&# ;D ;D (obviously just kidding)

From what I have seen they do take great pics!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frostytiger said:
CountryGirl, and Don in SJ,
I've enjoyed your pics immensely, the Canon S3 IS is a great camera by the looks of it. Since viewing your posts, I've been thinking about buying one, I have a Kodak EasyShare 5MP right now, but love taking pictures of nature. I've been checking out the Canon S5 IS, which is an 8MP. Mama says IF I get one it will be my last for a long while, what do you guys think?

Frosty

Frosty, I quickly looked at the reviews and differences between the S3 and S5 and all I can say is, the differences are not that great, but if you don't mind paying the extra money for the S5, then I would say, you cannot lose. To make the wife happier, you can show her the price of a S5 and then get the S3, which is now lowering in price. For the money, I know I feel the S3 was the bargain of the year for me. Whatever you decide, good luck..

Don

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I've had mine for less than a month, I like it soooo much.....I have taken over 300 pic's and it's the first time I have carried my camera everywhere with me. The zoom is what I was looking for and it is unbelievable! I don't think you could go wrong with either canon model. Wes loves his too and we are all here to help you figure it out. GO FOR IT! You will not be dissapointed.

OP
OP
frostytiger

frostytiger

Mar 16, 2007
SE Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm III
Thanks for the comeback, everybody, getting ready to go camping next week, so I will have to wait to order, whichever one I get. Thanks again and HH.

Frosty

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Wes,

I'm confused. Do you have the S3 or the S5? I have been checking out both of them....but, the Sony Cybershot.....very similiar in price to the Canon S5....has 15x zoom, compared to the S5's 12x. Both match up in similarities, except on 4 other things....

Canon S5 doesn't have built in flash like the S3 did. Sony's Cybershot has a built in flash unit...like the Canon S3 had.
Canon S5 has ISO ratio of 1600....compared to Sony's ISO ratio of 3200
Canon S5 runs on 4 AA (?) batteries....Sony has a rechargable bat
Canon S5 has 8 mega pixels......Sony has 8.1........the Canon S3 only had 6.

Best Buy no longer has the S3 in their stores, but I did find that Target has it for $349. Best Buy's price for the S5 is $499.99. Their Sony is $479.

Just curious.

---Mel

borninok

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
I have the S3 and I got it through Walmart online for less than in the stores. $348 in the stores, $318 on line. The customer service was wonderful with Walmart, UPS messed up delivery so Walmart reimbursed my shipping and gave me 10% off the camera. Great deal. Wild horses couldn't drag this camera away from me. :D Good luck with your purchases.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread