Un-marked black helicopters?

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in 1967 I was on the flightdeck of the aircraft carrier USS Constellation. We were flying bombing missions over N. Vietnam while sailing the South China Sea. It was broad daylight and, at the present time, we didn't have anything in the air. All of a sudden we were given the "Standby to recover aircraft" command. We were thinking maybe a wounded bird from another carrier or something. The mailplane had been there only a few days before and they always say "Standby to recover the COD" when she showed up.
We climbed into the catwalks to clear the landing area and all of a sudden, there it was. It was an all black U2. It landed almost silently. After recovery, the pilot walked a case, probably film or photos, to the island (The superstructure above the flightdeck) stayed up there for a while and then returned to the plane. We pushed the U2, by hand, back to the rear of the deck. Then the "Standby to launch aircraft" command sounded. We were wondering why we weren't pushing her up to one of the catapaults for launching. That plane, a jet, used no catapault to leave the deck and he only used maybe 1/3 the length of the ship before he was airborn. We've launched propeller driven aircraft without cats before but never a jet. They are built like a glider so there is a lot of lift in the wide wingspan. If there are any that doubt this story, I apologize for stirring your doubting side but, I swear, it's the truth.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have been lucky enough to fly in 4 differnt birds, never while I was in the service. The scariest time was in Branson Mo. The crazy pilot was from Chechnia (sp?) He flew out over the lake and then went straight up and turned the copter on its side almost in a free fall and the next thing I know we were facing 180 degrees of the way we were going and heading back into town. Never ever ever want to experience anything like that again!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :'(

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Pack,

I read with amazement your story of the U2 landing and taking off from a carrier. Anything like that is believeable given our Government's secret developments. A few thoughts cross my mind though; was the U2 equipped with a tail hook and if not how did it stop, was the flight deck clear of all planes because of the U2's wingspan it would have had to be to even think it was possible to land on a carrier, did this particular U2 have afterburners to take off in that short distance?

I'm not saying I don't believe you cause as I said, we seem to be able to come up with all kinds of "tricks" but...I'm having trouble picturing this. Then again, the "Blackbird was designed and flying in what, 18 months? Maybe Kelly Johnson came up with a way to land the U2 on a carrier!

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the plane had a tailhook and was arrested with the normal cable arrest. As a matter of fact, it was fueled with its own fuel, not the JP5 used by our other jets. A trailer-mounted tank was placed on our ship while we were in the Philippines. This was a PLANNED landing for this U2 although none of us knew about it. It was refueled by Marines and not sailors. The plane did not have any weapons at all, just window after window for cameras. Supercarriers do not need to clear the flightdeck of other planes to land aircraft. They are angledeck ships and planes land on the angle. If they miss the cables, they can abort the landing, leave the deck and come around for another try. I would guess this aircraft did have afterburners but I'm not aware that he had to use them to clear the deck. The planes are so light with so much lift, he may have just had to give it full throttle. The F4s, A4s and the rest of the jets always used AB during launch. The U2 spy planes that were used for secret carrier landings had to have reinforced fuselage to take the sudden stop during arrest. Anyone into aircraft history at all would probably find researching this subject an eye opener. Hoping not to appear to be stealing the thread but adding more to the mystique of the black aircraft and what they are used for.
Mrs. O, I have told this story in the past, to people familiar with the military and I was told I was full of things a person should not be full of. There are some folks that just say it's impossible and that's that. I would have no reason whatsoever to fabricate this story; I actually avoid telling it sometimes as I don't want to cause controversy.

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was in the AirForce, New Mexico, I use to work in a hanger with a real "Black Curtain" that took up a 1/3 of the large hanger, we were told not to go behind it, classified.
It was unclassified one day, and they were going to move the objects, behind the curtain was a Russian Mig, 2 Chinese "Deuce in a half's", a 60's Harley Sportster, trailers, mangled machine targets, these were Airborne Laser targets......some were not used....but real nice distruction........cool!!!

jorge

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this pic on the net taken on the USS America

Attachments

• u2ondeck.jpg
    u2ondeck.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 257

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This statement is also off the net. Funny, the one I saw land was in 1967. I must have imagined it.

In the late 1960s, Lockheed made a number of attempts to find other uses for the U-2 design. A maritime surveillance version for the US Navy was never taken up, and a remotely piloted version, a little ahead of its time, was not to proceed.

In November 1969, a U-2 was tested for carrier operations. Though the tests, using three early U-2s modified and designated U-2G, were a success, the U-2 operated only once from a carrier. In May 1964 a single U-2 from USS Ranger was used to gather intelligence on French nuclear tests at Mururoa Atoll. The U-2R was also subsequently tested for carrier use, but no operations were flown, it being considered as too disruptive to other carrier air wing operations. All the same, CIA pilots remained carrier qualified for some years.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Packer...sorry I was a "doubting Thomas". that's amazing...I don't remember when Kelly Johnson died but if he was still alive he probably had something to do with that.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Whenever the tomatoes were ready for
picking the black helicopters would be
around our place.

Now that the woman has cut back on
the number of plants, we have less helicopters.

all have a good un.....
SHERMANVILLE

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol Sherm, you can bet those black helos are used to find the tomatos. With all the technology we have now, these guys would much rather fly at night than the daytime. That's where their main advantage is, the night. They can fly higher, lower and faster than ever before and they take full advantage of it. They can carry more weapons on top of all that which makes them a very lethal addition to our arsenal. You gotta love 'em because they're ours!

OP
OP
Timberwolf

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
eagle77 said:
Timberwolf said:
eagle77 said:
Several years ago I had the opportunity to ride in the Hueys at night and in the daytime. I am still waiting for the chance to ride in a Blackhawk.

I bet that was fun. Has anyone you know flown the Aroura?

TW

No.

My time was with counterdrug task force. We had to train in the Hueys. Day and night flights, emergencies, land zones, etc.

The Huey ops (15 yrs ago) were always in August, 100 degrees on the ground. Our missions was cultivated MJ plots and harvesting locations. Both of us (LEO) sat in the gunners seats (guns removed). The Pilot and Crew Chief were Vietnam Vets. I have to say the crew was top notch and damn good at their profession. They did have a bet that one of us would barf...I have no clue on how much money traded hands over the course of the time, we were on to their plans and never ate heavy :D

If you ever want to experience something more than a roller coaster ride, hop in the gunners seat and tell the pilot that $60 says he can't make you barf ;)

Eagle,

I have a cousin here in Oklahoma that is a DEA agent. I don't really know much about what he does, and have only met him once. He is not much of a talker...must go along with the job.

Those roller coasters are plenty enough for me. Much more movement than that, and I would probably be barfing. Now that would not be a pretty sight. Take care,

Timberwolf

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Timberwolf said:
eagle77 said:
Timberwolf said:
eagle77 said:
Several years ago I had the opportunity to ride in the Hueys at night and in the daytime. I am still waiting for the chance to ride in a Blackhawk.

I bet that was fun. Has anyone you know flown the Aroura?

TW
No.

My time was with counterdrug task force. We had to train in the Hueys. Day and night flights, emergencies, land zones, etc.

The Huey ops (15 yrs ago) were always in August, 100 degrees on the ground. Our missions was cultivated MJ plots and harvesting locations. Both of us (LEO) sat in the gunners seats (guns removed). The Pilot and Crew Chief were Vietnam Vets. I have to say the crew was top notch and damn good at their profession. They did have a bet that one of us would barf...I have no clue on how much money traded hands over the course of the time, we were on to their plans and never ate heavy :D

If you ever want to experience something more than a roller coaster ride, hop in the gunners seat and tell the pilot that $60 says he can't make you barf ;)

Eagle,

I have a cousin here in Oklahoma that is a DEA agent. I don't really know much about what he does, and have only met him once. He is not much of a talker...must go along with the job.

Those roller coasters are plenty enough for me. Much more movement than that, and I would probably be barfing. Now that would not be a pretty sight. Take care,

Timberwolf

Working Narcotics is tough and dangerous; I never wanted in that side of law enforcement. The stuff I did was investigations and still can't mention specifics - where, who, etc... so I understand why he can't say much.

I still want to ride in the Blackhawk, just one more roller coaster ride. From what I have been told about the Blackhawks' capabilities...I would want an extra large barf bag...but it sounds like a fun time ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread