My chickens out in a light dusting of snow.

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Figured I would post a few snaps of my 4 laying hens today.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
DINNER!! :laughing7:

The wife is itching to have chickens again. Maybe later this year. ....Maybe!

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're getting eggs already? Wow...my girls are slackers...lol!

OP
OP
EastCoastmetal

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're getting eggs already? Wow...my girls are slackers...lol!

I bought them in Nov as "ready to lay' but they usually are still a bit young to lay, I waited for month and a half or so and still they didn't lay, the reason is because there is not enough daylight this time of year. They recommend 15 hours of daylight to 'trigger" the hens to lay. Likely can have less like 12 hours or whatever,.

So I rigged up a light inside the coup and hooked a block heater timer to it so the light would come on at 4:30 pm as it was getting dark at 5:00 pm here in Dec. Set it to shut off at 9:00 pm so I had about 14 hours of "light" within 2 weeks they started laying, now all 4 lay everyday.

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, that explains it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that could be considered fresh frozen.

If you could just get them to take their feathers off first, that would be an accomplishment.

OP
OP
EastCoastmetal

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that could be considered fresh frozen.

If you could just get them to take their feathers off first, that would be an accomplishment.

No no lol, If I kill them for dinner I don't get get anymore eggs!

I had black Cornish chickens before these, they did end up on my plate. They did lay eggs but were much smaller.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other

I had black Cornish chickens before these, they did end up on my plate. They did lay eggs but were much smaller.

...So which came first? The chicken sandwich or the egg? laughing hysterically.gif

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

My mistake, I confused the light dusting of snow picture with a light dusting of flour.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The town I live allows you to keep a max of 5 hens in the backyard. The neighbors have some, but I'm not around enough to care for any chickens, otherwise I'd get me some. Fresh laid eggs are the best eggs for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
EastCoastmetal

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The town I live allows you to keep a max of 5 hens in the backyard. The neighbors have some, but I'm not around enough to care for any chickens, otherwise I'd get me some. Fresh laid eggs are the the best eggs for sure.

I can legally have 99 chickens.

My friend has like 60 or so at times, mostly like 30 meat kings in the spring for meat, then drops down to like 30 for eggs .

I help him with the "processing" of the meat kings usually and I get free meat for my freezer, although my job isn't very pleasant.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely right, Chris. Wife bought a couple dozen brown eggs from the store about a month back. Said they were about the worst she'd ever had.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Absolutely right, Chris. Wife bought a couple dozen brown eggs from the store about a month back. Said they were about the worst she'd ever had.

Nothing tastes today like it did when we were younger.

OP
OP
EastCoastmetal

EastCoastmetal

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2016
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They really like weeds pulled from your garden too,the more they eat from nature(not mash)the BETTER them eggs taste!

Yes for sure, but this time of year I have no greens etc from my garden. They love dandy lion greens, they just gobble them up lol.

I have a bag of whats called crushed 3 grain or some such, has crushed corn ,wheat, barley I think, I throw a cup of that out in their yard when the weather permits , so far we haven't had much snow that has stayed around at least. When the snow does hit and there is like a foot or 2 of snow on the ground, they are perma stuck in their coop until spring.

Last edited:

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My girls don't care for any more than a dusting of snow.
They get organic feed with crushed egg shell, but they'd much rather be scratching around and eating grass, bugs and weeds. They enjoy homemade organic yogurt the most.
We got the first egg of the year yesterday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions