SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time's Up, It's My Turn

guineas1 (4).jpg
3 females, 2 nests. Sharing a nest is nothing uncommon. Just 3 of my flock of 15 guineas.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Time's Up, It's My Turn

Yes, Tick eaters, lots of them in the rural areas around here, ah, both ticks and Guinea hens :)

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202

Besides eating ticks...what do you do with these? I never stopped to think what folks do with them :-\

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

can't you eat 'em? There were a pair of these running around on a jobsite last year. All the guys kindagave them right of way privledges during working hours. But come friday, they had better be out of the way!

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guinea fowl eats all kinds of bugs (spiders, skeeters, crickets & those nasty bugs that try to take over the garden), they'll will kill snakes too (small ones) and gang up on bigger snakes. They alarm you to strange things in their territory. Ever see guineas gang up on a lost hunting dog? Poor dog ran with his tail between his legs with 15 guineas running after him.

I don't eat my pets...but hubby tells everyone about the delicious guinea gumbo his grandmother always made. The eggs are different from chicken eggs & they make the best cakes, this is what I hear...I don't use the eggs either. I do raise the babies to sell.

;) RR

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Great picture RR...We had a few of these on the farm...they make excellent watchdogs!

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,

three old hens under the same roof,, i could not live there,,, haha

SomeGuy

Jun 26, 2005

My mom has guinea hens, but they nested out in the field and were eaten by predators. Now she keeps the survivors penned up where they can't eat any bugs. How do you get them to nest in the hen house?

vabeachrob

Jul 26, 2006
SE VA

We HAD guineas, stupid foxes. lol Once we lost 20 chickens in one night, and they werent even ours!! Friends kept em here. :-[ Never heard of eating guineas, they are quite tough birds. VERY sharp feet. My neighbor has 3 now, they seem to come and visit alot. lol The eggs are MUCH harder than chicken eggs. When i was a kid (like 9 years ago? im 16) me and my little brother had a bunch of rotten eggs. It smelled horrible, we were gagging, and took a day for smell to go away. lol HH

Robert

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

they eat well (taste good to me) and the eggs are great for baking--they are quite noisy and will wipe out bugs like crazy---they are a rather tough bird fight wize--and are often used by wize guys (big time mob guys) types upon their grounds at large country type places as a noisy form of night watch guard ---peacocks are great for that too by the way-----the birds for the most part are loud and noisy and easily startled--calling an italian one will get the snot beat out of you should you ever make the mistake of calling an italian it that is if he can if not he'll come back with a "freind" that can and will count on it------P.S. know if you ever call a italian that you've made a enemy for life---- better you should talk about his "mom"(also not a good iidea) than call him that---Ivan

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
wize guys (big time mob guys)
hence the term Guinea fowl (ill show myself the door,were's my coat?)

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

oh a wize guy huh? nuk.nuk.nuk

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS

I bet they follow you around the farm? We had 30 chickens for pets when I was a kid. Dd couldn't kill them and Mom wouldn't even let us eat the eggs?

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900

Good looking birds RR ;D

TW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions