Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,,,
Neat category, when did this start?
I have not been keeping up with the program. :( Anywho....
I was at a local Tot-lot yesterday and saw this strange metallic blue wasps looking bug. It had a hold of a cricket and was traveling at a pretty quick pace across the sand. At first I thought I was looking at something I shouldn't have been, ;D,, but I'm pretty sure the cricket was getting ready to be dinner?
BlueWinged_Cricket.jpg

In (46) years of being here I have never seen one like it before. Anyone got an ID for this one?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Strange Bug?

There is a large wasp that paralyses it's pray in order to lay it's egg on the victim the egg hatches out and feeds on it's host, I think it's name is pepsis wasp (not sure about spelling) this might be your wasp :-\

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Leon,

neat photo.

Are you sure the cricket was not carrying
the wasp home? ;) ;D

have a good un........
SHERMANVILLE

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

looks like a mud dauber. Close to a wasp, but not a wasp. Actually they eat wasps too. I think that's what it is, but not totally sure. They can be black as well.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have those nasty critters too. I agree with the mud dauber...they work fast can have a mud nest built in your lawn furniture & on your porch walls within a couple of hours. Forever trying to clean up after them...what a pain in the A$$ they are.

;) RR

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Hello all,,,
Thanks for the great replies...

tyre kicker, You may be right, or at least on to something. The closest thing I could find on the web is what they call a "Cockoo Wasp". that does about the same thing with it's eggs.
There is a very small picture of one about 3/4 of the way down this page:
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/wasps.html

I sent the picture to that site and ask if he could help ID it for me. If, or when I get a reply I will give an update...
Thanks again all,
Have a great day...

P.S.> SHERMAN, Although he was a handsome devil, I don't think the cricket had a chance. ;D

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Re: Strange Bug? (Updated with ID)

What a magnificent photo of what looks like a
Steel-Blue Cricket Hunter, Chlorion aerarium, with its prey
The above quote is from the email I recieved from this site:
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/wasps.html

The Steel-blue Cricket hunter is a member of the Sphecid family and measures in length
from 1/2 to 5/8 inch with a 1-segmented pedicel between the thorax and abdomen. They
are a dark, metallic, steel blue with the antennae and legs being black and the wings, a dark
blue.

They can be found in meadows which have nearby sandy areas and are found throughout .
the United States. Adults drink nectar while the larvae feed on crickets and grasshoppers
These insects need a sandy soil nearby so they can easily dig a slanting tunnel which will
be used for protection and for laying eggs. Females drag their prey inside the tunnels,
attach an egg to the prey and then back out of the tunnel, closing the opening with a
sand and saliva mixture. The larvae feed on the dead insect and pupate in the burrow.
They emerge as an adult the following summer.

This insect is often confused with the Blue Mud Dauber because of their similar color,
and size but can be distinguished by the shorter pedicel of the Steel-blue Cricket Hunter.
The quote show here is from this Website:
http://www.no-pest.com/SphecidWasps.htm

Don't ya just love Tnet...
Hang out here and become smarter than you ever thought possible... ;D
Now, if I could only be sure everything is spelled right, even with the aid of the "Spellchecker"... ;D

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)

tyre kicker said:
There is a large wasp that paralyses it's pray in order to lay it's egg on the victim the egg hatches out and feeds on it's host, I think it's name is pepsis wasp (not sure about spelling) this might be your wasp :-\

You hit that one smack on the head. Often times the ones in the southwest use a tarantula for a host.

~Nash~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions