Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange the difference in the climate a couple thousand feet lower. Went down to Salida today where it was 55 and pretty much snow free. Lots of wind today. Saw a pretty cool sun dog south of Buena Vista and got a fair pic of it. Work sucks, but the first pick is the view we see everyday when we leave to go home, so that's somethin. Unless it's snowin too hard, of course.

Attachments

• 1-30g.jpg
    1-30g.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 1-31b.jpg
    1-31b.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 63
  • 1-31c.jpg
    1-31c.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 1-31d.jpg
    1-31d.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 1-31e.jpg
    1-31e.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 68

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be looking at the ground in that last picture. I see in your pictures why it was I moved from Leadville to BV. That's the old Calco plant. They processed the calcite from the mine up on Monarch pass. At one time they sent the iron pyrite to that plant from Climax to be refined in a way to sell to Coors and they used it to make the glass beer bottle brown by adding the pyrite. Climax pretty much recovered the Molybdenum free as all the byproducts such as copper, tungsten and other minerals paid to get the Moly out free of overhead cost. That's what they'd tell us anyways.

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I intended to do a lot more lookin around, tr, but since I took the wife and her friend along it turned out my real purpose was to go to Walmart and take them to a restaurant for dinner, haha!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I intended to do a lot more lookin around, tr, but since I took the wife and her friend along it turned out my real purpose was to go to Walmart and take them to a restaurant for dinner, haha!
I understand, as I'm the only male in my immediate family of women. For even the son of man came not to be served, but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom. Took me a while, but I finally got the gist on where I stand in this life. :BangHead:

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one of the sun & clouds is simply "awesome"

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
They're ALL amazing RG, but I especially like the 1st and 3rd ones. Did you do some photo magic to get the clouds that way?

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're ALL amazing RG, but I especially like the 1st and 3rd ones. Did you do some photo magic to get the clouds that way?
Actually I had to work on that one a little. That sun dog was better looking and brighter in real life. It was like wow, pull off to the side of the road cool. Well to me anyway. But the pic I took came out washed out. So I used backlighting and upped the saturation to 70. It came out pretty close.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I had to work on that one a little. That sun dog was better looking and brighter in real life. It was like wow, pull off to the side of the road cool. Well to me anyway. But the pic I took came out washed out. So I used backlighting and upped the saturation to 70. It came out pretty close.
Looks like the clouds are made of Opel.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
In any case, in MY humble opinion, that there's definitely a photo worthy of some sort of award!! I've never seen anything like it before. ...Don't think even my imagination is that vivid! :laughing7:

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen them like that several times up here kcm, and it's really hard to get a decent pic of them, so they look just like what you see. Maybe some kind of filter would help. Growing up in Oklahoma we would have smaller ones, and mom told me that meant we would get rain within a week. That was always true. Up here they apparently don't mean nothin, other than there's ice crystals in the clouds acting like a prism on the sunlight, I guess.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's really cool. Can't help but wonder if it has anything to do with the high, steep mountain sides and the way sunlight reflects off of them - kind of a prism effect.

Up here, we have what I've heard is a fairly rare thing. When there are ice crystals in the air and the clouds and lighting are right, it looks like (3) suns in the sky. Only thing is, it isn't so rare up here I'm not outside all the time and have still seen this several times in the past few years. I'll try to find a pic later. ...I'll put it this way - it happens enough to where I no longer want to grab the camera! :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread