USS Eisenhower CVN 69

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I was flying off the coast of Florida yesterday and snapped these pic's. I thought I'd share them.

I was a BT2 and sailed on the Connie CV-64, 1970's. Fair winds and following seas to all.

AVN69_1.jpg

CVN_69_2.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing ship. Last summer I toured the Midway in San Diego. I think it was built in 1946 ? Unbelievable the size and that one's no doubt bigger.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
they allow you to fly that close?

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing ship. Last summer I toured the Midway in San Diego. I think it was built in 1946 ? Unbelievable the size and that one's no doubt bigger.

The Enterprise had a 4.5 acre flight deck, I would expect the Eisenhower to have the same or perhaps even be larger.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
they allow you to fly that close?

The fire control radar probably had cross hairs on him. I expect there were some sailors in Combat Information Center, on the ship, that were keeping an eye on him also.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my brothers was stationed on that ship. We toured her when she was in Norfolk, Virginia...or maybe it was Maryland..anyhow, it was around 1989.
Unbelievable how huge those ships are!! And a friggin elevator to bring choppers below deck!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Enterprise had a 4.5 acre flight deck, I would expect the Eisenhower to have the same or perhaps even be larger.
Interesting. You get a different perspective of the size of an acre when you see it from a gigantic man made slab of steel. Just doesn't look the same as a piece of ground.

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The fire control radar probably had cross hairs on him. I expect there were some sailors in Combat Information Center, on the ship, that were keeping an eye on him also.

I was using a discrete code- they knew who I was.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Around 1999, when my brother was on the Ike, I did a "Dependent's Tour" with him out of Norfolk. 80 miles off shore we were allowed on the flight deck and everyone got earplugs. They did an airshow starting with a supersonic fly-by. They launched and recovered various aircraft. Did a simulated "man overboard" rescue. Fired the Phalanx CIWS. Dropped cluster bombs... The food wasn't bad, either.

It was an awesome display of power and a real WOW! moment in my life. We were allowed to go to any part of the ship except the reactor.

Pretty sure they don't do that sort of thing anymore. It was less than 20 years ago and what different world we live in today...

Thanks for sharing the pics and bringing back a fond memory.

DCMatt

OP
OP
G.I.B.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I always thought they have prescribed limit and anything breaching said limit was fired upon

Lemme check-

Yep, still here.

Maybe they are lousy shots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread