tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took these this morning walking the dogs. You could hear the meadow lark's singing from one acre to the other and these male redwing black birds are making their strange call one after the other. They're probably calling out to the females they have the best spot in the cattail marsh. It was a little cool and overcast with a slight feel of humidity in the air. Felt like springtime is getting closer. At least the sounds of spring are increasing.

Attachments

• IMG_20170217_101819.jpg
    IMG_20170217_101819.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20170217_102452.jpg
    IMG_20170217_102452.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think I have seen a meadowlark since I was a boy in Kentucky. They are one bird I miss seeing. I automatically associate the redwing blackbirds with fishing because I always saw them near ponds when I'd go.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Grant, what camera are you using? You say it's pretty small and easy to use and carry. I think I'd like to look into getting one like you have.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is a Panasonic DMC-ZS 40 and I did see them still at Costco for $229. just last weekend. It's been out a while now and there are prices from just below $200. on up. It has been proceeded by two other models that are basically the same. Those are the DMC-ZS50 and DMC-ZS60 and you may want to look into those also?. The first one I got from Costco broke, but they give a 90 day guarantee and it was simply exchanged no questions asked. The lens hung up. The 2nd one has worked for some time now and was even dropped on the concrete and put a dent in the front of the lens housing, but I was lucky it didn't harm it from still functioning. It isn't the most robust gadget, so if you do get one treat it like an old pocket watch and try not to let it get knocked around or exposed to dirt and dust. I keep it in a plastic baggie in a zipper up chest pocket of a light jacket and it's easy to get out and use when I'm out tromping around. I did find a small belt pouch for it also to use when it's to hot to wear a jacket.

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, I'll be going to Costco next week, and look into it. My camera is just to big and bulky, so I leave it at home, and the phone camera is OK, but leaves a lot to be desired. My old tired eyes don't do well on manual focus, so that's a problem also.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think I have seen a meadowlark since I was a boy in Kentucky.
They are one bird I miss seeing. I automatically associate the redwing blackbirds with fishing because
I always saw them near ponds when I'd go.

OD, next time you're out fishing and see one of those Redwing critters bouncing
around on a reed just above the water, cast into that water right under it.

Usually, they're bouncing because a fish (typically bass) is stirring up all kinds
of bugs for them to eat, so in a sense they are telling you right where the fish
are....:occasion14:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OD, next time you're out fishing and see one of those Redwing critters bouncing
around on a reed just above the water, cast into that water right under it.

Usually, they're bouncing because a fish (typically bass) is stirring up all kinds
of bugs for them to eat, so in a sense they are telling you right where the fish
are....:occasion14:

Well that's a new one to me! Thanks! I will remember that

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread