tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I walk my dogs I pass by these oak trees and I'll fill my pocket with acorns to give to the neighborhood squirrels. I shot these from the kitchen window as this one squirrel came by and ate a few the then one by one he'd head off and bury them across the street, down the street one way and the other. I'm thinking if he forgets where he buried some my neighbors are going to have oak trees growing up here and there?. One things for sure he wasn't going to leave any to share with the other squirrels. He took ever last one.

Attachments

• acorn 1.jpg
    acorn 1.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 126
  • acorn 2.jpg
    acorn 2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 115
  • acorn 3.jpg
    acorn 3.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 112

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
A few years ago, at a local farmers market, they had a huge bin of filberts. I bought several pounds, then fed the squirrels a few nuts at a time. I was putting them under a cedar tree, and in cracks in the bark of the cedar tree. So a bunch of local squirrels figured filberts came from cedar trees.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some filbert's in with the mixed nuts over the holidays and I'd throw a few mixed verities out under the tree and they'd leave some filberts. I thought maybe those were just to hard for them to get to the nut inside? Guess my squirrels are picky? These acorns are pretty dry with thin shells and they have no problem getting at the goodies inside. I was wondering why these oak trees even had so many acorns left below. Could be the squirrels don't know it exists? The trees are kind of in the open and maybe to much of a risk to venture across all the open land to get to?. I see hawks always out patrolling for what ever they can find to far from cover.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago, at a local farmers market, they had a huge bin of filberts. I bought several pounds, then fed the squirrels a few nuts at a time. I was putting them under a cedar tree, and in cracks in the bark of the cedar tree. So a bunch of local squirrels figured filberts came from cedar trees.
I should add that mice really like the walnuts I get. At least my Mice do. Walnuts to my mice are as good to THEIR last bite. Those varmints are back and I just got another this morning. The cats engaged in the hunt also. It's spring coming on for sure now. They hit the house hard when it come to breeding season. I could hear one gnawing on something in the kitchen early this morning. It's come to a stop now since the last snap. This one I just got a moment ago left a lot of blood on the trap. That's perfect and it make that trap draw more attention from those buggers.

Attachments

• dead mouse.jpg
    dead mouse.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 96

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet I have caught 14 or 15 mice this winter. As far as the squirrels, I get a lot of chestnut seedlings sprouting up and occasionally walnuts. They like burying them in the vegetable garden or in the old lady's flower beds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions