The Red Man revered him, but the White Man cursed him.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• walk 030817 1.jpg
    walk 030817 1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 76

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, cool! Coyote pack always seem to get their share of lil' ankle-biting dogs (and cats) from town here. We live at the edge of timber and town,
and occasionally see one in broad daylight...!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I was working for a cow outfit on the Carson River. Out on the desert there was a coyote keeping a cow stirred up, so I went over to check things out, and see if I could get a shot at it. When I got close enough, two coyotes ran off. One had been keeping the cow busy, the other was eating the calf. The calf was new born, still alive, the coyote had been eating the milk out of the calf's stomach.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was working for a cow outfit on the Carson River. Out on the desert there was a coyote keeping a cow stirred up, so I went over to check things out, and see if I could get a shot at it. When I got close enough, two coyotes ran off. One had been keeping the cow busy, the other was eating the calf. The calf was new born, still alive, the coyote had been eating the milk out of the calf's stomach.
That's why they run like hell in the rural areas when they see a vehicle pull to a stop. Around here they're a lot different acting and not much livestock other than a few chickens, goats and those pot belly pigs like the one my oldest had named Roscoe. I have found what's left of a couple missing neighborhood kitty cats out in the field. I went along varmint hunting as a spotter a few times in northern Nevada. I spotted a coyote walking up a hill for one my customers and he got it with his 7mm Remington. That sure did a number on that rascal.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice picture! They are a really hard one to get pics of very close. When I moved back to Kentucky in the early 90's, one of the biggest differences I saw was the wildlife there in my absence. It was nothing to hear bobcats call on the ridges and near the woods at night when I was a boy. They were rarely heard when I returned. I never saw a wild turkey as a boy, but they were everywhere when I went back. Elk, black bear and others that had disappeared were being brought back. Coyotes roamed in packs and at night you could hear their yips and barks near the cattle farms. I know of one instance where a fully grown cow was killed by a pack as they got her down somehow, chewed her udder and rear end out and she bled to death. You could see where her legs kicked the dirt as her life bled out. My sister lived across the way and remembered being woke up that night by the calls of the pack. Her oldest daughter was scared to get out of her car when she was still living at home because of them circling their yard in her car lights when she'd come home late. If you were vigilant during calving season, you would catch glimpses of them now and again, but usually they saw you long before you saw them and they would slink away.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice picture! They are a really hard one to get pics of very close. When I moved back to Kentucky in the early 90's, one of the biggest differences I saw was the wildlife there in my absence. It was nothing to hear bobcats call on the ridges and near the woods at night when I was a boy. They were rarely heard when I returned. I never saw a wild turkey as a boy, but they were everywhere when I went back. Elk, black bear and others that had disappeared were being brought back. Coyotes roamed in packs and at night you could hear their yips and barks near the cattle farms. I know of one instance where a fully grown cow was killed by a pack as they got her down somehow, chewed her udder and rear end out and she bled to death. You could see where her legs kicked the dirt as her life bled out. My sister lived across the way and remembered being woke up that night by the calls of the pack. Her oldest daughter was scared to get out of her car when she was still living at home because of them circling their yard in her car lights when she'd come home late. If you were vigilant during calving season, you would catch glimpses of them now and again, but usually they saw you long before you saw them and they would slink away.
I just watched a Nat Geo show on African predators and they filmed a pack of Jackals bring down some kind of Antelope. They look almost like a Coyote. I do know Coyote will work in a team. I've read when the go for larger game like a deer they take turns at running it down to exhaust the deer out. These Jackals did the same thing. I've observed the Coyote hunting prairie dogs in the field and they just scan the area as all the prairie dogs run for their holes. They'll spot one that looks like it's just a little farther from it's hole and that's the one they bolt after. Most the time the prairie dog get's in the hole with a fraction of a second to spare. I believe the coyote will leave the prairie town for a while to let the prairie dogs become more relaxed and comfortable thinking all's well in prairie dog town and then the coyote will come back for another run on those quick little guys. The coyote do succeed at getting them, as I've seen the coyote strutting along with a prairie dog dead and swinging in it's jaws from time to time.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty good pic, Grant. I've called-in and shot a ton of those boogers. Made considerable money, back in the high-priced fur days, selling their pelts. Hunted, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and parts of Colorado back in those winter days. Used to sleep in the back of my pickup out there north of Wamsutter in the Great Divide Basin. -20 temps never bothered me back then. Best outdoor days of my life.
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a tranny go out in Wamsutter. Waited 4 hours there on a tow truck sent by Aamco in Cheyenne. Walked all around that God forsaken town. On the south end of town what would have been old hwy 30 was an old wooden shack with a cool hand painted Conoco gas sign on the side of it.. It was a complete wood frame maybe 20' by 30' 1930s Conoco filling station. I sure would have liked to dismantle it and put it somewhere else, like my back yard. It was being used to store old junk. Next time I go through there I'll see if it's still there behind some newer buildings.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL...That sounds like Wamsutter. I was sure you'd been there. I used to go there every 3 days and gas up. I'd buy a bunch of pop, fruit pies for breakfast, have a hot meal, and have the cafe make me up a bunch of sandwichs and then head back out again. Good days. I was having lunch in Rawlins last year, and the waitress was from Wamsutter. She was commuting, even during the winter months. Tough gal, but good-looking...Ha!
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread