tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Cañon City, Co yesterday taking hwy 285 to hwy 9 through South Park and these are some I took along the way. I love this drive and it may get to be a regular run as I've got some things going on down that way. You almost always see Deer, Elk, Buffalo and Antelope on this stretch. The weather was just outstanding and half the drive was with the window rolled down. I'm not sure what the heck happened with this big truck who was coming down a place called Red Hill just outside of Fairplay, but his skid marks were a snake path from one side of the road to the other. In other words he was all over the road coming down the hill and out of control. He also left deep gouges on the black top and a good stretch guard rail mangled up. I didn't see any other vehicles involved, but if there was one going up the hill when he was coming down the way he was, it would not have been a pretty sight. I took a picture of this ranch house on the top of hill on hwy 9 as you climb out of south park. I've for more the 40 years have so admired it and it's been kept up in pristine condition as far back as I remember. I wish it was mine, because on a clear night sky from this place its just so beautiful to see all the stars and milky way overhead.

Attachments

• trip 031417 H9 1.jpg
    trip 031417 H9 1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 67
  • trip 031417 H9 2.jpg
    trip 031417 H9 2.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 53
  • trip 031417 H9 3.jpg
    trip 031417 H9 3.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 51
  • trip 031417 H9 4.jpg
    trip 031417 H9 4.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 52
  • trip 031417 H9 5.jpg
    trip 031417 H9 5.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 57
  • trip 031417 H9 6.jpg
    trip 031417 H9 6.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a possibility that the antelope were all on the road, maybe?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics, but no travellin the country for me as Spring Break '17 sprung 3-11. So I'm doin 6 thirteen and fourteen hour nights a week. We did half a million Sat. and Sun., all from a 47,000 sq. ft. sales area. My lord, it's worse every year. IF there's a plus side, we manage to stay #1 in the entire chain in most categories, particularly overtime, haha! I suppose I should be happy that for anything over 8 I make almost $30 an hour. I would trade some of that for at least one night camping this month.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm surprised there isn't more snow, Grant. Is that typical for that area this time of year? Last time I was in Canon City was Christmas season 1973.
Jim

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We pretty much got tired of all our snow Jim, cause we already got plenty, and decide to send the rest of it up to Yankeeland for the rest of the winter, haha!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure what the heck happened with this big truck who was coming down a place called Red Hill just outside of Fairplay, but his skid marks were a snake path from one side of the road to the other. In other words he was all over the road coming down the hill and out of control. He also left deep gouges on the black top and a good stretch guard rail mangled up. I didn't see any other vehicles involved, but if there was one going up the hill when he was coming down the way he was, it would not have been a pretty sight.

Don't recall ever driving that particular stretch of road, but if that hill
is full of curves, more than a couple miles long and over a 6% grade (Colo.
has numerous 8%-10% grades) then the driver might have been caught
unprepared for the hill, and going way too fast over the top.

The OG rule was always going down the hill in the same gear it took
you to get up it, but with today's higher horsepower engines pulling
you up the hill, it's often safer to fall off the other side at least one
gear lower than the gear used for climbing up.

Coming down a unknown hill in that manner creates some serious,
life-altering, high-level pucker factor. Such an experience commonly
requires an immediate change of attire due to the "first ya scream it,
then ya do it" effect. There are no atheists in a 40 tons of runaway
big truck...
pray_zps1e3520bb.gif~original
(don't ask me how I know this)

Deep gouges in the pavement usually means a crash-n-burn,
but I just checked, and there was no reported accident there that I can
find, so hopefully he got it to the bottom still in two pieces
(tractor and trailer still connected and upright).

Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tamrock!! GORGEOUS PICS as usual and thanks!! Looks like one of the 18 wheelers down here in Louisiana!! Dodging Alligators!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! Sounds as if RGINN is having fun up there!! VERDE!!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We pretty much got tired of all our snow Jim, cause we already got plenty, and decide to send the rest of it up to Yankeeland for the rest of the winter, haha!
Haha....well. we definitely got it! It's mid-60's today, and I still have a little snow in the shop driveway.
Jim

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes RGINN, north eastern states , Quebec and maritimes receive some pretty thick white blanket, about 2 feet here since yesterday evening and it's still snowing pretty much. Thanks for the pictures Tamrock ;)

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a possibility that the antelope were all on the road, maybe?
Well I would say they have that " I saw nothing look", but they were in a different area. They did have the high winds light up signs on and I did see a pup trailer from a tandem parked in a pull off and it was blown over on its side. I think a big blast of wind may have been the culprit? I believe at one time that whole truck was on its driver's side and came up again on all wheels again when it skid to the ditch on his lane. What ever happened it sure left some strange tracks on the highway. No doubt that driver went for one wild ride.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't recall ever driving that particular stretch of road, but if that hill
is full of curves, more than a couple miles long and over a 6% grade (Colo.
has numerous 8%-10% grades) then the driver might have been caught
unprepared for the hill, and going way too fast over the top.

The OG rule was always going down the hill in the same gear it took
you to get up it, but with today's higher horsepower engines pulling
you up the hill, it's often safer to fall off the other side at least one
gear lower than the gear used for climbing up.

Coming down a unknown hill in that manner creates some serious,
life-altering, high-level pucker factor. Such an experience commonly
requires an immediate change of attire due to the "first ya scream it,
then ya do it" effect. There are no atheists in a 40 tons of runaway
big truck...
pray_zps1e3520bb.gif~original
(don't ask me how I know this)

Deep gouges in the pavement usually means a crash-n-burn,
but I just checked, and there was no reported accident there that I can
find, so hopefully he got it to the bottom still in two pieces
(tractor and trailer still connected and upright).
That isn't all that extreme of a drop, but you can get going with a pretty good clip down this side. All the sharp curves are all behind at the point he came to a stop.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful scenery. I can't remember if I ever saw antelope in person or not. If I did, it probably would have been at the OKC zoo if they had them back in the 80's.:dontknow:

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful scenery. I can't remember if I ever saw antelope in person or not. If I did, it probably would have been at the OKC zoo if they had them back in the 80's.:dontknow:
This vast open high plains known as South Park was known well by the early mountain men and was probably known by the Indians for thousands years as a summer hunting grounds. I believe the last wild Grizzly in Colorado was killed within this area. He was a problem with the early ranchers and they hired a professional hunter to finally put an end to him. If I recall the bears name was Old Moss and when he died it was said he had something like 17 gunshot wounds in him he survived over his time as a menace if I recall the story correctly?

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your story is the icing on the cake. Thanks, it's always a pleasure to read your posts Tamrock. Keep going and stay safe ;)

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I hope I have the story right. It is an area I did enjoy exploring long ago. Even though it's called a high plains it's really all rolling hills. It seemed there was something new and interesting found on the other side of each hill you'd crest. I came on an abandoned old 1930s 4 door sedan out there once and I could never again say for sure where it was I saw it. It was rusted by the elements, but completely intake and in the dry Colorado air it really had no through rust on the body. The tires, wood and seat covers were dry rotted pretty bad. No one had robbed it of much of anything I recall. I'm sure someone within the last 35 years had found it and hauled it home, but maybe not? I'm pretty sure it was a late 20s early 30s Ford model A.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread