tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw this big river barge on the Mississippi River on my way to Florida. It was 37'000 feet below me and​ I only have my cellphone to take pictures this week, so I wasn't able to zoom in on it all that well.

Attachments

• IMG_20170320_212154.jpg
    IMG_20170320_212154.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 100

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
37,000ft high, huh? hmmmm, you were on an airplane, right? haha! Take care have a good trip and I will try to have this place snow covered once again by the time you get back.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
37,000ft high, huh? hmmmm, you were on an airplane, right? haha! Take care have a good trip and I will try to have this place snow covered once again by the time you get back.
That's what the pilot said. "We'll be cruising today at 37000 feet. I'm not sure where on the Mississippi we crossed over it, but I do know we went over the Ouachita range maybe 45 minutes before I saw the big river.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well this morning I used our satellite imagery we have these days to find out we're exactly I was when I took this picture. The town below is Helena-West Halena, Arkansas down there, by the features seen from​ high above. Never heard of the town before, but thanks to Wikipedia I can now research a little of the story on how that town came to be and the history behind it.
Gotta be some lost coinage in and around a place that all began in 1833. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helena-West_Helena,_Arkansas

Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tamrock!! Thought at first you had a picture of my house on the river, but you were about 7 hours north of me driving time!! Where did you end up in Florida?? Interestingly enough they found an ole paddle wheeler in one of the farms around West Helena some years ago as the river had changed it's course. Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I went to Disney World there Verde... Speaking of paddle wheelers I took a ride on one this last week. It was a real steam powered​ one.

Attachments

• IMG_20170322_182834276_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170322_182834276_HDR.jpg
    930.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Sheperdess

Jan 20, 2013
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother in law is a manager on a barge. He is here in South Dakota for 28 days and on the barge for 28 days. He flew out on Tuesday to the barge. It sounds like they are fed very well as they are fed very well while afloat.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mom was raised in the Mississippi River Town of Burlington, Iowa. I've always loved to visit my grandpa there and go down to the river and explore along it and think about how fun it be to take a boat all the way down it. My great grandpa owed and operated a ferry boat that took passengers across the river a hundred plus years ago. I've got this old piece of Black Hills gold jewelry that came from my great grandpa. The story my 92 year old mother tells me it was given as payment for a ferry ride to my great grandpa, because that was all this fella had as payment for a ride across the river. It is an old piece of Black Hills gold and it's been in my mom's possession as long as I can remember. Anyways that's how the story goes of that piece of jewelry came to be and is now my possession.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread