One log load

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is an old picture, and I didn't take it, but back in the early 70's, we were still getting logs like these in at the mill. The truck has one log on it, and the trailer is getting another log the same size. If they were going to a plywood mill those logs would be 17 feet long.
I had a friend hauling off Burnt Mountain, and one log he hauled they had to cut notches in order to fit it between the stakes. He was over height, over width, and over weight, one log. He was able to get around the scales and to a close mill. There is still timber like that on Burnt Mountain, but it aint PC to log them now days. The logs pictured are either Douglas Fir, or Sugar Pine. Just thought you might like to see what logging used to be like back in the day.

A1A.jpg

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare to see any old growth now days. We just timbered some land and they went after all the oaks. Now it is turning into all tulip poplars.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck!, You could make a whole cabin by hollowing out the one log. Hollow out the other one and you'd have a double wide log cabin.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I grew up in Western Washington near Marysville. Huge timber interests in the area, and I remember those one log loads, when they were still cutting virgin timber. I am glad they finally decided to save the big trees for future generations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread