New Camera Frustration!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Hi gang.. sorry, no pics for the daily snapshot today. *sigh* I was all excited too! My darling wife got me a brand new digital camera to use when I go metal detecting or just for whatever. It's a Sony Cybershot DSC-W80 7.2 megapixels!!!! HOW COOL! It takes GREAT pictures too.
But that's where it takes a nosedive... For some reason, even with the software supplied with the camera, installed on my computer, my computer doesn't recognize the camera when it's jacked in via USB port/cable. I can't move the freakin' pictures from the camera to the computer.
The hard copy manual that comes with it is useless, the software supplied manual is confusing at best, and next to useless. I'm about to say to hell with it and go back to using my old Gateway 5.0 digital camera. *sigh*
If anyone of you out there has this camera and uses a computer with Windows XP, and has had this problem and maybe found a way to solve it.. ?? <praying> I would very much appreciate some pointers and or suggestions. Hell.. my latest best coin was photographed with that camera and I can't share it here with everyone because I can't get it from the camera to the computer.

Till this problem is solved.. or I go nuts (more likely) I'll keep plugging away at it.. maybe I'll figure it out.

Frodov

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
check your anti virus and pop up blocker, they will sometimes cause this, also check that you have auto detect new equipment turned on...hope this helps :)

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try using one of the computers programs to open them instead of the supplied software. Does a window pop up when you plug in the USB asking you what program to open it with?

DanL

Feb 17, 2007
Ellicott City, Maryland
Here's a couple of things to check.

First, there's a USB menu on the camera (believe it's under Settings / Main Settings / Main Settings 2). Make sure it's set to 'Auto'.

Second, do you have any other USB devices connected to your computer? If so, remove them and then try the camera again just to make sure you don't have a conflict.

Also, you don't need any Sony-provided driver to connect your camera to your computer using USB -- the USB driver provided by XP should work just fine. Below is what Sony recommends if you run into problems -- uninstall theirs and go back to the one provided by XP. If that doesn't work, you may either have a bad USB port on your computer, a bad USB cable, or a defective camera. :-\

How to uninstall and reinstall the camera USB driver on a computer running the Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system.

1. Ensure the camera is turned on and connected to the computer with the provided USB cable.
2. On the computer desktop, click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
3. In the Control Panel window, under Pick a category, double-click the Performance and Maintenance icon.
4. In the Performance and Maintenance window, under or pick a Control Panel icon, double-click the System icon.
5. In the System Properties window, click the Hardware tab.
6. On the Hardware tab, in the Device Manager box, click the Device Manager button.
7. In the Device Manager window, double-click Imaging devices.
8. Under the Imaging devices, click to highlight Sony Digital Still Camera.
9. On the menu bar, click the Action menu.
10. On the Action menu, click Uninstall.
11. In the Confirm Device Removal window, click the OK button.

NOTE: If the System Settings Change window appears, click the Yes button to restart the computer.
12. Restart the computer.

NOTE: When the computer restarts, it will detect the USB connection from the camera and automatically install the USB driver provided by the Microsoft® Windows® XP operating system.

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Yeah.. problems solved.. had corrupted and or missing registry files and drivers. Ended up having to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything.. starting with Windows XP. *sigh* We are STILL restoring lost data, files and programs, but at least the camera and computer are comunicating just fine now. <smile>

Frodov

James in Alabama

Jun 27, 2007
Lincoln, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE with Sunray X1 Probe and Whites XLT E Series
Frodov said:
Yeah.. problems solved.. had corrupted and or missing registry files and drivers. Ended up having to wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything.. starting with Windows XP. *sigh* We are STILL restoring lost data, files and programs, but at least the camera and computer are comunicating just fine now. <smile>

Frodov

Glad things are up and running again Frodov. Sorry you had to go through all that with the computer. Now you can post that 2nd silver dime you've found ;)

James

OP
OP
Frodov

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
I did post pics of that second silver dime I found.. it's in the Today's Finds forum. I didn't think I needed to post it here in this forum as well, but thanks for thinking about it. <smile>
Yeah. The new camera is sweet.. very very VERY high resolution and it's got the built in steady shot capability.. handy for when your hands are shaking because you just found a bit of silver or any other exciting find. <grin>
Of course I've got some learning yet to do to take full advantage of this camera's capabilities and strengths. I'm not very far along the learning curve yet I'm sure. But I'll learn it, that's for sure!
More pics for here before too long, now that I've got such a light portable and easy to use camera I'll be packing it along with me every time I go hunting, or even just out and about.
Till next time!.. Happy Hunting!

Frodov

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread