Steel head must be running

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The water is up, and this is the time of the year for steel head trout to be in the streams. My son and I were out back this afternoon, and my son says, "Look, that hawk got a squirrel." I didn't see it in the air, but it landed on a power pole on the neighbors place, and we could see it wasn't a squirrel, or a hawk, it was an Osprey with a dandy fish. It came up from the creek behind my property, and where it landed I was able to get some pictures.

Osprey1.jpg

Osprey2.jpg

Osprey.jpg

That's a pretty nice fish. I can't tell for sure what kind of fish it is, I'm guessing steel head trout, but it could be a sucker, I've seen them in the creek in the past, and they do a run like the steel head. It's one or the other, and fish that big don't live in that creek year around. By August there are a lot of years when there is hardly any water, and the water there is warms up.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sure one bird design for fishing. The hook like talons, heavy lift wings and a beak that can penetrate and rip through those tough fish scales. I don't come by that species of bird all that much in the mountain States, but when I do, it's always a delight.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get us some pictures of the creek behind ya. After we moved from Chicago when I was a kid we moved to a town called Kewanee, Illinois. There was a creek or what the local folks around called a crick. It was then I came to enjoy those small stream's and have ever since. One of my new friends in the town told me we can make money, by catching crawdad's and he was right. We'd catch em and these guys going fishing would buy them from us. We'd catch the crawdad's with those little Aquarium nets and would gather a bunch of them in a short time.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice pictures. Awesome bird.
HH
dts

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw an Osprey take a rainbow trout out of a Michigan lake I was fishing today... awesome sight and a big splash too!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on being in the right place at the right time and getting those nice pics! I bet that osprey was bragging to his buddies about the nice one that did NOT get away:laughing7:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good pics. Ospreys have just come back into this part of the country for the summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread