tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a walk around a local lake today and these two pairs of male and female mallards were swimming by. I could see what looked like a white crest on the head of one male and it's bill looked white. I zoomed in on it for a better view and this is the anomaly of what I saw. I have to say he's rather interesting looking. I wonder what's going on with him?. Maybe a mix of a domestic duck in his bloodline or something :dontknow:

Attachments

• mallard mutant.jpg
    mallard mutant.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, it's a baldplate (or maybe that's baldpate) duck. Different kind, but probably also tasty. We don't see them here much.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, it's a baldplate (or maybe that's baldpate) duck. Different kind, but probably also tasty. We don't see them here much.
Huh. It was clearly with a group of two females and one other male mallard. Baldpate is what your talking about. I've never seen one. Maybe he's only able to find all the mallards we have around and no other Baldpate's. Okay I got a new kind a duck in town. I see it's also called an American Wigeon.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, you got it right. I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild, and yes they will associate with other ducks.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, you got it right. I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild, and yes they will associate with other ducks.
Well I did once see driving west of Grand Junction a formation of Canada geese fly overhead and on the very end of one line of the V was a mallard flying in with them as though he thought he was a goose. I guess when your a duck you can pick and choose who ya want a hang with from time to time.?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duck, Duck, Goose? I visited the Atlantic seaboard the last few winters and saw lots of Arctic ducks and birds. Really cool. Even saw a common loon a couple years ago. And a moose. Moose don't fly.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Duck, Duck, Goose? I visited the Atlantic seaboard the last few winters and saw lots of Arctic ducks and birds. Really cool. Even saw a common loon a couple years ago. And a moose. Moose don't fly.
Being on the road for 20+ years now Moose have migrated their territory further south over the years I've noticed. I've seen em no more then a hundred miles north of the Colorado & New Mexico border within the last five years. Once in a while some dummy will get to close with a camera and the Moose will toss em up a tree by it's antlers. With all the people now out here that head to the mountains on the weekend I'm sure we'll see a fatality caused by a moose sometime here in the future.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat looker for sure! The Canada geese here have all sorts of other waterfowl intermingling with them. I see Mallards, Cormorants, Mergansers, Wood Ducks and others hanging around them. They all take off when a Bald Eagle happens by though. They aren't welcome in their club:laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
could be a mallard who identifies as a bald eagle

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could be a mallard who identifies as a bald eagle
He had em a lady mallard girlfriend and was out double dating with another couple of mallards.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread