Dandelion

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Is that how to spell Dandelion? Spell checker says it's OK. Anyhow, still playing with the camera. First photo is looking down at the dandelion with no zoom, 2nd picture zooms in, not all the way, but to the point I can get it to focus. Third picture is after I sharpened it a bit in the computer.
Dandylion.jpg

Dandylion1.jpg
Dandylion1A.jpg
The wind was blowing, so it was hard to get a focus with it moving around.
I didn't bend over, the camera was held at the same height for both photos.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good practice for photography of butterflies. I try to get up as close as maybe 5 to 6 feet away on butterflies or dragonflies. Any closer you risk spooking them. I was about maybe 6 feet away from this blackwing damsel fly when I took maybe 3 shots of it with my Panasonic camera.

Attachments

• bike ride 080516 2.jpg
    bike ride 080516 2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 64

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Good practice for photography of butterflies. I try to get up as close as maybe 5 to 6 feet away on butterflies or dragonflies. Any closer you risk spooking them. I was about maybe 6 feet away from this blackwing damsel fly when I took maybe 3 shots of it with my Panasonic camera.

Nice one.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great shot, I love these cameras. Now I see they have some newer models. Don't know how they would be any better. I got lucky with mine, it was on sale and I had the money at the same time. That's not usually my luck.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Is that how to spell Dandelion? Spell checker says it's OK. Anyhow, still playing with the camera. First photo is looking down at the dandelion with no zoom, 2nd picture zooms in, not all the way, but to the point I can get it to focus. Third picture is after I sharpened it a bit in the computer.
View attachment 1445166

The wind was blowing, so it was hard to get a focus with it moving around.
I didn't bend over, the camera was held at the same height for both photos.

Um..pic #1 Boats....your grass needs mowing dude.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Um..pic #1 Boats....your grass needs mowing dude.

Then the dandelion wouldn't have been there. Supposed to have sunshine for a few days, up to now we'd been mowing in the rain.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a hint for you when photographing dragonflies! If you see a dragonfly sitting on a stick and he flies off, set up your camera and focus on the stick. In from a few seconds to a couple minutes he'll come back and land on the stick again. Sounds nuts! That's what I thought when an old timer told me this. Seems they pick out a stick or branch and keep coming back to that place. BTW Nice shot!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a hint for you when photographing dragonflies! If you see a dragonfly sitting on a stick and he flies off, set up your camera and focus on the stick. In from a few seconds to a couple minutes he'll come back and land on the stick again. Sounds nuts! That's what I thought when an old timer told me this. Seems they pick out a stick or branch and keep coming back to that place. BTW Nice shot!
Really!.. I've never heard that one before.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one.
I got lucky in this picture as the other 2 takes where crap. Had to be really steady handed. These bugs fly really strange like. Their wings don't vibrate like a normal blue damselfly. They flutter like they're paddling through the air rather slowly.

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great shot, I love these cameras. Now I see they have some newer models. Don't know how they would be any better. I got lucky with mine, it was on sale and I had the money at the same time. That's not usually my luck.
Thanks Bosn's, hope ya think I'm jumping your post, but it's just a demo of the possibilities with your camera. I always use the automatic feature as nature doesn't so often wait on the absolute best. I've over time learned how to get the camera to auto focus on the subject I want. Takes several half pushes of the shutter button sometimes to get the little box on the screen to focus on what it is your trying to zoom in on. Once it's all zeroed in then I take the shot. Seems I get the best results doing that. Sometimes even that doesn't work and what I wanted a good picture of is gone and no longer an opportunity. To me it's as fun as hunting for rabbits with a 22.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Bosn's, hope ya think I'm jumping your post, but it's just a demo of the possibilities with your camera. I always use the automatic feature as nature doesn't so often wait on the absolute best. I've over time learned how to get the camera to auto focus on the subject I want. Takes several half pushes of the shutter button sometimes to get the little box on the screen to focus on what it is your trying to zoom in on. Once it's all zeroed in then I take the shot. Seems I get the best results doing that. Sometimes even that doesn't work and what I wanted a good picture of is gone and no longer an opportunity. To me it's as fun as hunting for rabbits with a 22.

Totally agree, it's fun. And this camera with a super zoom and automatic features makes it even more fun. I got tired of having to carry all the extra stuff, and changing lenses, but these cameras take awesome photos and they'll fit in a shirt pocket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread