wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Here's a photo of my vegetable garden.
Deck Garden.JPG
I'ts on my deck cause the critters eat the plants before they even get started. You won't see any red or yellow tomatoes as I pick them just when they start turning to keep the birds and squirrels from eating them. It's been so dry here they will eat anything for moisture. I just canned 6 more pints of banana peppers and have a long string of cayenne peppers hanging in my kitchen and the little yellow squahies are hidden under the leaves ;D

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Very nice! !
Your garden is alot smaller than mine :)...but then again I am feeding half the birds,squirrels raccoons ,deer and groundhogs in the county.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Gypsy on sharing with the animals, and have moved my garden to my patio also, but unfortunately the squirrels and deer are not that intimidated about coming that close to the house.
Very nice garden setup Wes, also very high productivity in a small area.

I added two photos of my patio gardens, the one is just in tomato plants this year, the raised brick garden as I call it, I have a greenhouse top that I made that goes on it in early spring. My original garden was 20x40 area in the left background where the Black-eyed susans and bee balm is now.

The second photo shows my grandson's "sandbox" garden. I converted the sandbox I made for him a few years ago into "his" square foot type garden. He planted (5yr old) cucumbers, one Cherry Tomato plant and one Sweet Potato, that the deer ate and the cantaloupes, which are spreading all over the place.

The deer have hit his garden and the Squirrels show no mercy anywhere, no pears left on my trees, no apples, and already they are chewing off the Chinese Chestnuts.......

Don

Attachments

• brickgarden.jpg
    brickgarden.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 175
  • sandbox garden.jpg
    sandbox garden.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 184

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
that is so cool! and nice to share with the lil guy too! he will always remember gardening with ya!

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Yours looks really great Don. Gypsy, if I'd had my druthers I'd have a large plot tilled out back but last year the groundhogs ate stuff as fats as it sprouted. Fossis is sending me some seeds so I'm gonna have to do something different next year; got some ideas already ;D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that putting shavings of a smelly bar of soap on my flower plants and also rubbing some of the soap on the wooden borders has kept the deer at bay with the flowers, until I stopped doing the procedure a couple weeks ago and now the deer are munching away.

Deer have been my biggest raiders of the garden in past years, Squirrels have been raiding the trees for years, from Dogwood berries, to my Pear trees and anything else they can get.........

I think I will stick to using the raised brick garden and big pots on the patio to be my garden, it was nice all those years having a regular garden but sure is easier to maintain a patio garden. :)

Don

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I have been using Coyote Urine to try and keep the animals out. It has worked out great in my flower beds but has attracted coyotes to the vegetable garden ::) cant win ....saw one carrying a rabbit in its mouth the other night....the deer just step over my fence and the groundhog....well I am going to shoot that little thief ...... the cat has chased the raccoon a hundred times but its a sneaky little beggar .....saw a chipmunk run off with a jalapeno in its mouth ....bet thats the last time he visits.....I put netting over the garden and the squirrels get tangled in it....I think all the wild life around just party down in my garden at night....if I start finding beercaps in the morning there is going to be a problem :(

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
my dad went through all of that too....he tried everything including making plastic tents for the plants! Now he has two lil blue heelers and low and behold the deer and squirrels stay out of his garden! lol

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good Wes, good idea to pick them quick,
I had a rabbit travel through just one night, It did a lot
of damage, I put my melons, (one on a vine), up in my
buckets & he left them alone.
The quords have about stopped growing, soon they
will start to dry.

Fossis..........

OP
OP
wesfrye53

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
And I thought I had problems! :-\

It seems Gypsy has the "Party Garden"! :o Everybody head to Gypsy's this weekend.....bring plenty of beer and coyote urine :-X

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread