Tiny Flowers On Tiny Plant
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Chadeaux
  • 1 Post By Chadeaux
  • 2 Post By Chadeaux
  • 1 Post By kcm

Thread: Tiny Flowers On Tiny Plant

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Tribal Member of United Houma Nation -

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    6268 times
    Cache Hunting

Tiny Flowers On Tiny Plant

Yeah, I know ... I've lived a sheltered life , but I've never seen one of these before (to my knowledge).

Finished cutting the lawn last evening and sat down on the back steps to cool off. While looking at the freshly mowed grass and clover, I noticed several of these little fellas. They're a beautiful shade of blue and about the size of a large english pea. If you look closely, there is a water drop behind the one that hasn't flowered yet (not the dew drop on the leaf below) that is almost as big as it is.

I can get closer, but my hands shake too much to get a clear image ... so had to get my smallest (shortest) tripod and use zoom instead of macro to get this pic. Then I had to zoom in again in processing the image.

Anyone have an idea of what this is? It looks to me like little flowers blooming on the outside of the main bulbous part of the plant.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0105_cropped_a.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	199.9 KB 
ID:	1452188
    Last edited by Chadeaux; May 17, 2017 at 09:21 AM.
    RGINN, BosnMate, kcm and 1 others like this.
    "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have anymore reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. . . . Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge or wisdom in the Grave, where you are going." -- Ecclesiastes 9:5 & 10

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    8231 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I looked up some Arkansas wildflower data bases and didn't spot it. Could mean it's non-native, a domestic gone wild, or I just missed it.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    6268 times
    Cache Hunting
    I did the same ... and checked Louisiana (12 miles from State line) and Mississippi (50 miles from Mississippi River).

I've lived on this property since 2008 and I've never seen them before yesterday. We have lots of the little red "berries" (look like mini strawberries) and the really small ones are the same size as these, but I can't say I've ever seen these before.

I know someone else must have seen them before though.
    "For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have anymore reward, because all memory of them is forgotten. . . . Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge or wisdom in the Grave, where you are going." -- Ecclesiastes 9:5 & 10

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    6268 times
    Cache Hunting
    A bit more detail on the flowers ... they've faded a bit but I was able to lie on the ground this evening and get a better pic

Name:	DSCN0137.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	185.4 KB 
ID:	1453277
    BosnMate likes this.

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    6268 times
    Cache Hunting
    Ok, last pics of this one. First shot, a better view. Second shot, for size reference (picked the biggest one I could find for this pic).

Name:	DSCN0162[1].JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	1453502

Name:	DSCN0165[1].JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	1453503
    BosnMate and mdog like this.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    7100 times
    I know the Mississippi has flooded pretty good at times over the years, and many plants and seeds have been washed downstream. Maybe something from farther north?!?!?
    Chadeaux likes this.
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

us

Sep 2011
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ace 250
    6268 times
    Cache Hunting
    I live west of the Chemin-a-haut (high path). In 1927 the water came only as far as this ridge. It was formed by erosion causes by ancient floods of the river and is where Arkansas changes from hills to flat land.

If I stand on "overflow hill" (the modern name for the Chemin-a-haut) and look east, any places that are not flat are Indian Mounds or something else man made.

kcm
    us
    Feb 2016
    NW Minnesota
    Tesoro Silver uMax
    7100 times
    ...So I s'pose it's pretty easy to spot them fire any mounds, eh??
    "...I've got silver in the stars and gold in the morning sun" - Don Williams

Sponsored Links