Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Yeah, I know ... I've lived a sheltered life :coffee2:, but I've never seen one of these before (to my knowledge).

Finished cutting the lawn last evening and sat down on the back steps to cool off. While looking at the freshly mowed grass and clover, I noticed several of these little fellas. They're a beautiful shade of blue and about the size of a large english pea. If you look closely, there is a water drop behind the one that hasn't flowered yet (not the dew drop on the leaf below) that is almost as big as it is.

I can get closer, but my hands shake too much to get a clear image ... so had to get my smallest (shortest) tripod and use zoom instead of macro to get this pic. Then I had to zoom in again in processing the image.

Anyone have an idea of what this is? It looks to me like little flowers blooming on the outside of the main bulbous part of the plant.

DSCN0105_cropped_a.JPG

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked up some Arkansas wildflower data bases and didn't spot it. Could mean it's non-native, a domestic gone wild, or I just missed it.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I did the same ... and checked Louisiana (12 miles from State line) and Mississippi (50 miles from Mississippi River).

I've lived on this property since 2008 and I've never seen them before yesterday. We have lots of the little red "berries" (look like mini strawberries) and the really small ones are the same size as these, but I can't say I've ever seen these before.

I know someone else must have seen them before though.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A bit more detail on the flowers ... they've faded a bit but I was able to lie on the ground this evening and get a better pic

DSCN0137.JPG

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ok, last pics of this one. First shot, a better view. Second shot, for size reference (picked the biggest one I could find for this pic).

DSCN0162[1].JPG

DSCN0165[1].JPG

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I know the Mississippi has flooded pretty good at times over the years, and many plants and seeds have been washed downstream. Maybe something from farther north?!?!?

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I live west of the Chemin-a-haut (high path). In 1927 the water came only as far as this ridge. It was formed by erosion causes by ancient floods of the river and is where Arkansas changes from hills to flat land.

If I stand on "overflow hill" (the modern name for the Chemin-a-haut) and look east, any places that are not flat are Indian Mounds or something else man made.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...So I s'pose it's pretty easy to spot them fire any mounds, eh?? :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions