tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went looking for artifacts today, because the weather man says it's maybe going to snow tonight. The place I go looks like nothings out there, but look closer and you'll see things. I road my bike out there and had to give up the hunt due to the drop in temperature stronger winds and rain coming my way. I don't think I want to get struck by lighting out there. Didn't find any artifacts, but still enjoyed a wonderful early afternoon.

Attachments

• bike ride 051717 1.jpg
    bike ride 051717 1.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 73
  • bike ride 051717 2.jpg
    bike ride 051717 2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 79
  • bike ride 051717 3.jpg
    bike ride 051717 3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 88

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Gotta love those little Burrowing owls.....must be all of 6 or 7" tall. Great pics, Grant!
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's some great photography!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks! that little burrowing owl made me work for a decent shot. Both the Coyote and little owl were taken from quite a distance and with max zoom, so the camera lost some sharpness, but still it's better then any smart phone will do for ya.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love those little Burrowing owls.....must be all of 6 or 7" tall. Great pics, Grant!
Jim
Yeah they're pretty short and they fit in a prairie dog burrow...This is the first time I've seen them around here. I'm going to work on getting some better pictures of these guys later. Hopefully they'll be staying in this area for a while.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Awesome captures as usual Grant!! I saw my first burrowing owl a couple of weeks ago in Nevada. It was sitting on a fence along side US95. Same problem as always, even if there is a shoulder to park on, it takes about a half mile to get stopped. I've missed lots of photo ops for that reason. Just this last week, I saw a red fox, and lots of coyotes and antelope in Wyoming. Also some bighorn sheep in the Columbia Gorge in Oregon.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic photos! Jealous in New York!!! :notworthy:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah they're pretty short and they fit in a prairie dog burrow...This is the first time I've seen them around here. I'm going to work on getting some better pictures of these guys later. Hopefully they'll be staying in this area for a while.
There are quite a few in a valley I frequent. First saw them about 30 years ago. That's the only place I"ve seen them around here. I like to see them perched on a gopher mound, just looking around. You can tell the mounds they're using by the flies buzzing around....LOL
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are quite a few in a valley I frequent. First saw them about 30 years ago. That's the only place I"ve seen them around here. I like to see them perched on a gopher mound, just looking around. You can tell the mounds they're using by the flies buzzing around....LOL
Jim
If you notice you'll see all the white bird droppings on the prairie dog mound this little owl is on. I'm thinking that's a way you maybe tell a burrowing owl has occupied an old vacated prairie dog hole?. I saw quite a few burrowing owls in some vacant lots when I lived in Sacramento. They were City slickers, as it wasn't​ in the country where they were.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome captures as usual Grant!! I saw my first burrowing owl a couple of weeks ago in Nevada. It was sitting on a fence along side US95. Same problem as always, even if there is a shoulder to park on, it takes about a half mile to get stopped. I've missed lots of photo ops for that reason. Just this last week, I saw a red fox, and lots of coyotes and antelope in Wyoming. Also some bighorn sheep in the Columbia Gorge in Oregon.
You know Ron if I was in your line of work and could operate a camera with the skills you have, I'd try and get shots of those night sky's out there at night on I80 on the divide between Rawlings & Wamsutter or out on a moonless night 100 miles west of Green River, Utah on I70. I don't have the gear or knowledge how they photo the milky way like that, but it's sure a sight to see when you find yourself out under a night sky like those fare from any town. I love your long exposure photography. Ture I do have moments with a little 4 wheeler to hit the breaks when I see something unique, but there's so much else I wish I could photograph if I had the know how and equipment. I think this picture was taken in Wyoming?

Attachments

• Sequence-07.Still004.jpg
    Sequence-07.Still004.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic photos! Jealous in New York!!! :notworthy:
I thought you moved to the desert down in Congress Arizona? I'm gonna to visit with a fella who worked at the Congress mine this week hopefully. I sold him a bit grinder he hasn't figured out how to work yet. I need to find that photo of you with all those core samples and see what he knows about them.

Last edited:

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
You know Ron if I was in your line of work and could operate a camera with the skills you have, I'd try and get shots of those night sky's out there at night on I80 on the divide between Rawlings & Wamsutter or out on a moonless night 100 miles west of Green River, Utah on I70. I don't have the gear or knowledge how they photo the milky way like that, but it's sure a sight to see when you find yourself out under a night sky like those fare from any town. I love your long exposure photography. Ture I do have moments with a little 4 wheeler to hit the breaks when I see something unique, but there's so much else I wish I could photograph if I had the know how and equipment. I think this picture was taken in Wyoming?
I have been thinking about trying the milky way for a long time. Where I live in in North Central Idaho, it's very visible at certain times of the year. Just never got around to trying some pics of it. Will try sometime if I end up at the right place and have time.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Pictures! :icon_thumright:
That area that you are hunting looks promising. Looks like some of the areas that I hunt. Always check out those hard pans, but don't forget to check out in between them.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Pictures! :icon_thumright:
That area that you are hunting looks promising. Looks like some of the areas that I hunt. Always check out those hard pans, but don't forget to check out in between them.
Those dry hard pans is where I look. To much vegetation now between them to get a good look, but that improves after the hot summer and the grass drys up. I just started looking at a pan area in the flat ground horseshoe area of the creek and found flakes here and there. The ant hills also are loading with very small and thin jasper flakes from what I believe was much Flint knapping going on. Gotta be some good stuff a foot below the surface I'm thinking. I feel pretty positive there was a much used campsite of a 3rd acre piece of ground in the shape of a kidney bean from the top of the bluff down to the horseshoe flat on the banks of the creek.

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Check those dog mounds. In a former life, long long ago and far far away, the prettiest gal I ever dated was a Cherokee girl,raised on the reservation in Oklahoma. I met her mother, and she was wearing a diamond ring with a rock large enough to throw at a dog. It was found on a prairie dog mound.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check those dog mounds. In a former life, long long ago and far far away, the prettiest gal I ever dated was a Cherokee girl,raised on the reservation in Oklahoma. I met her mother, and she was wearing a diamond ring with a rock large enough to throw at a dog. It was found on a prairie dog mound.
I always look to see what a prairie dog may have dug up hoping it be a perfect 4 plus inch Clovis point, but all I've ever found was old bones unearthed on a few. My grandpa did find a mid 19th century 18K gold ring with 5 old mine cut diamonds digging in his garden back in the depression-era. He never sold it even though the extra cash would have helped in those days. I have it now.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread