Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've recently acquired a new friend. They are fascinated with me using the camera in our garden.

So, I got the great idea (since my friend evidently is willing to be photographed) to learn a bit more about my new camera and its settings.

I've always used to shoot ASA400 film in my SLR cameras for snapshots (fast enough / not too grainy). I used ASA100 or less for portraits and "art". It has been a long time since I did any of this stuff for other people so I've forgotten the ISO/ASA relationship.

Anyhow, this Coolpix wants to automatically choose the ISO speed. Not a good idea ... so I set it to 400 for most of my shots. Now, this subject in the first image remained in this pose for about 2 minutes while watching me.

This is the problem I was having with images:

ISO400.jpg

The problem looks like "focus" but it isn't. It's the equivalent of film speed. This image was shot at ISO400. Looks like junk. I noticed that my macro shots were seeing the same noise and often appeared to be out of focus.

ISO100.jpg

I believe this is the same subject (it's a bit squirrelly, so who knows) shot with the camera set at ISO100. Top image is "sharpened" with a highpass sharpen filter and still looks out of focus, while the bottom is exactly as shot (both have been resized).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions