Something is awfully hungry

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some unknown animal decided to start chewing on a Swamp Maple that is right next to the pond. I am not sure if it is a Squirrel, Groundhog, Muskrat or what. I have to assume a Squirrel, since I know they strip bark for nest making but that is usually up in the branches, never seen anything chew the main trunk before with those chunks taken out...????

Don

Attachments

• ChewedSwampMaple2.jpg
    ChewedSwampMaple2.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 547

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Thats strange, my guess would be a porcupine. I can't remember seeing them strip bark that low to the ground. I have seen them up higher working on the smaller branches.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well i would guess maybe a beaver..looks kinda like what they do to the trees at my brother in laws..

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have said beaver but the odds of one being on my tiny seasonal stream seem remote, unless a youngun was exploring for a new area. The closest beaver den area is about 1 mile away as the crow flies on an adjoining stream.
Guess I am going to have to catch the critter in action to know for sure. :)

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tree is alive and well, bear are a rare sight in the area so I'm sure that a bear did not do that. Squirrels have been doing some funky things this summer with the lack of rain, maybe one decided to take his frustrations out on the trunk of a tree! ???

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The creek by my brother in law is very small..And they travel aways.
What they do is peel the bark off and and then when the tree starts do die they come back and take it down.....

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood ???

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
OK Don,,,,fess up! We know you've been having
therapy on your knee and someone probably gave
you an old folklore recipe for "Bark Beer" ( most
likely Gypsy) that supposedly speeds up the
healing process while at the same time causing
you to see sideways ;D! And to think you are
trying to blame the missing bark on some poor
creature! :o

Go ahead and post the recipe so we can all
check it out! ;D

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MPFISH said:
check around the tree see if there is any deer tracks that looks like a buck deer rub to me ....mpfish....

I saw a nice 4 point buck (that ran out in front of me, swerve, screech and oooooooooo that's nice) the other evening that still had felt on his rack. Could be rubbing the felt off

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I second the deer rub ---seasons almost here ---the buck was most likely rubbing the velvet off ---accounts fro the long high to low rub marks---you know where to find him come season if you hunt --- Ivan

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would be an awful small buck.Most deer rub mid to high,and in all my years of hunting i never saw one peel that much off the tree.....
have you seen any tracks around it.???

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, since I know quite a bit about deer and my one bicycle buddy is a former Federal Wildlife Biologist who specialized at one time on Whitetail deer, I can say without a doubt it was not a deer. :)

No tracks around, the sand is hard there with a very fibrous roots in it so only something running with weight would leave any type of marks.

Yes, the damage is way too low to be a buck rub, I have had a buck rub before on my lot, but it was on Sweet Bay trees (Swamp Magnolia) and not Swamp Maple trees.

I now think that Squirrels did not do it, since they usually peel the bark off for their nest making, I have enough branches in my Tulip trees for comparison and not even close.

I am stumped on this one, I do have groundhogs, muskrats on occasion and other wildlife in the area, I am fairly certain a beaver would not have done damage that way, and it would be a happening if a beaver came to my property from the nearest year round stream.
There have been no new events at all. But I check daily.

Don

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Aw Don...are you gonna keep the "Bark beer" recipe to yourself?

Hey Buddy....hope the PT is working for ya!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
bears will mark a tree like that too ---their claws will take "chunks" out easily---look for "claw marks" on the scraped area

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Judging by the amount of bark and wood at the base of the tree, whatever is chewing on the tree is not eating or moving the debris from the area. From your photos it looks like there is loose bark on the tree. It could be a bird searching for grubs or insects under the bark.

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lumbercamp said:
Judging by the amount of bark and wood at the base of the tree, whatever is chewing on the tree is not eating or moving the debris from the area. From your photos it looks like there is loose bark on the tree. It could be a bird searching for grubs or insects under the bark.

The tree is a very alive Swamp Maple and the bark was not loose or flakey until the critter munched or clawed it. My dog smells the area each morning, more so than any other part of the property, I asked him what he is smelling but I don't understand Corgi talk. ;)

I am forwarding the photos to NJ Fish and Wildlife whom I have worked with for several years and see if someone there has an answer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread