Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice place to hike around in, if you watch out for bicyclists and longboarders. Bout a mile east of Copper are some stone structures that I had thought were mining related but may actually be where railroad workers lived as they're very similar to the ones over at Officer's Gulch, but these are undisturbed, as nobody knows about them. No detecting here. Columbines are in bloom. Looked over some 'pretty rocks' at an old mine site. They mean nothing to me, but that is a nice piece of pyrite. I might get better pics of what caught my eye in each one.

Attachments

• 6-27a.jpg
    6-27a.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 6-27c.jpg
    6-27c.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 6-27e.jpg
    6-27e.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 6-27g.jpg
    6-27g.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 6-27h.jpg
    6-27h.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 55

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey RGINN!! GORGEOUS PICS!! Any trout in that stream?? Hope you're well!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey RGINN!! GORGEOUS PICS!! Any trout in that stream?? Hope you're well!! Anyway, GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!
Oh yeah. I caught a few out of there. Not big ones though. I generally use my white Roostertail spinner and go fishin for bass and catch trout.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, looks like you maybe found a secluded spot for yourself.? Excellent picture of those columbines. I'm sure there's a few old lower grade deposits in those hills, that were abandoned, due to the gold prices being less then what they are today? Back in the later 1970s early 80s there were these Canadians mining up in the Clinton res. area. That's the time MSHA began to get hot and heavy on the hard Rock operations along with more environmental issues aimed at the small operator. MSHA started fining those Canadians just about every time they popped in on them and shut those guys down. No one has ever tried to mine that deposit ever again as far as I know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not real secluded as I-70 runs through there and there's that rec path, but the thing is people never get off the path. They're just passing through. Mostly what I got there is pyrite and mica. One piece showed a little promise so I crushed it up and panned it, but all pyrite. Of course that mine I was at was primarily a silver mine. Lincoln Res. area should have somethin. Climax has all the property almost up to the south shore of the lake and have 'properly posted signage' through the woods. They will have you thrown in jail for crossing onto their property, so I don't look around there much.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to go back in the Climax underground again. I herd a story from a nephew of one of the guys who was high grading these Rhodochrosite crystals https://www.mindat.org/locentry-44621.html He said his uncle told him he hid some very fine specimens under the wood plank floor of a particular cut out. I know the place he was referring to, but I'd have to bust a lock on an iron gate to get to the old workings or through a glory hole at the bottom of the big open pit. It's from that glory hole Fox would enter underground and raid the trash pits for left overs from a miners lunch. I once saw a Fox running ahead of me underground out the portal when I worked there. He had something wrapped in aluminum foil in his mouth. Most likely it was someones leftover sandwich.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Man, that looks like paradise! I got to get my wife to take a vacation and go to the redwoods and do some camping.
Thank you for the awesome pictures RGINN!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice place to hike around in, if you watch out for bicyclists and longboarders. Bout a mile east of Copper are some stone structures that I had thought were mining related but may actually be where railroad workers lived as they're very similar to the ones over at Officer's Gulch, but these are undisturbed, as nobody knows about them. No detecting here. Columbines are in bloom. Looked over some 'pretty rocks' at an old mine site. They mean nothing to me, but that is a nice piece of pyrite. I might get better pics of what caught my eye in each one.
Pyrite is a good indicator of the presence of minerals and it's been known a long time that gold is within iron pyrite, but it's no simple task to recover the gold from pyrite.
Rcovery of gold in pyritic ores

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread