worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I couldn't miss this mowing yesterday,I would really like to see what it looks like,the ground is fine powdery silt.

K1600_DSCN4001.JPG

GOD Bless

Chris

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't miss this mowing yesterday,I would really like to see what it looks like,the ground is fine powdery silt.

View attachment 1483360

GOD Bless

Chris

Personally I'd Dig it up.
turn the dirt over & make them re-dig their way back out.
Maybe lay a large slab of Metal on top.

a large upside down Big Mouth Jug may be cool too

However an Alternate would be Molten Aluminum

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it digging in some kind of ash pit? I found a very flat spot horseshoe bend along the creek near by where I found a few flake chips of the tan color microcrystalline rock material laying on the surface and looking at the ant hills around I could see numerous smaller flakes in what they excavated. That leads me to think it was once a spot the Indians camped and a possible spot that would yield more artifacts below the surface if excavated.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a ground nest under my grape vines one time. I shoot muzzle loading firearms, so had a can of black powder. I bet you are already thinking Oh Oh! Anyhow, after dark, I took a funnel and stuck it in the hole, then filled the cavity with black powder. Stuck some fuse in the powder, lit the fuse and got back out of the way. It started out like an upside down rocket, blasting and burning a huge hole in the grape vines. This ended with a low grade boom, blowing smoldering wasp nest all over the place. I sure wouldn't do that program if there is a danger of fire, otherwise it got rid of the darn yellow jackets, and the next year the grapes all grew back.

OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Is it digging in some kind of ash pit? I found a very flat spot horseshoe bend along the creek near by where I found a few flake chips of the tan color microcrystalline rock material laying on the surface and looking at the ant hills around I could see numerous smaller flakes in what they excavated. That leads me to think it was once a spot the Indians camped and a possible spot that would yield more artifacts below the surface if excavated.

Grant

It's out in the middle of one of the fields down the meadows.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grant

It's out in the middle of one of the fields down the meadows.
I only remember one time wasp made a hole nest right next to the front door of the house. When you'd slam the door shut, they'd come after ya. I got a rock and a can of hornet spray and loaded a lot in the hole and put the rock quickly over the hole. You could dang near feel the ground vibrating, with them all buzzing down in the ground trying to get out. The sound all finally faded away to nothing and I never had a problem with them again.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one thing. if bees are nesting in the ground, it may mean they are confident there will not be a deep freeze coming :dontknow:

lopi.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
worldtalker

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I did some googling and came up with..Cicada Killer Wasp Nest

cicada-killer.jpg

I would see them in the summer down in the Great Smoky Mountains when I lived down there,the Mountain folk called them News Bees,never knew they burrowed though,I have seen them carrying a cicada and there sting is BAD..OUCH...

GOD Bless

Chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread