97.3 KB · Views: 529

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
one less if it was me sorry "dangerous" snakes get no free pass --non deadly ok ---but deadly nope --- looked kinda p o ed for sure --- Ivan

OP
OP
R

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
alwayslookin said:
Very nice cotton mouth pic...how close were you? striking distance?

I was about 4 feet away taking the shots, I didn't get too close

torez

Mar 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion gold stinger
Walk softly----and carry a big stick.

torez

zztop357

Jun 9, 2007
Most snakes can strike the leanth of their body. I'd rather use zoom than be doomed. Be careful out there. In Arkansas we have a lot of poison snakes. The bigger they are, the less likely they are going to run. God bless you, that you didn't get bitten.
ZZTOP

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, those cotton mouths are very aggressive. Have you ever been chased by one? If anyone is interesting in hearing about the chase, let me know. It is a experience I'll never forget.

;) RR

OP
OP
R

rommelvon

Jul 21, 2007
River Rat said:
Man, those cotton mouths are very aggressive. Have you ever been chased by one? If anyone is interesting in hearing about the chase, let me know. It is a experience I'll never forget.

;) RR

never been chased by a cottonmouth, but got chased by a black racer snake once......fast snake, thankfully he didn't chase me far

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I have no idea how to spell the noise that came out of my mouth when I opened that photo!

Jim West Pa

Aug 14, 2007
Mamont Pa.
Detector(s) used
DFX
Love the pics romm. That is a beautifull specimen. Lightest variation i've ever seen. Caught many of 'em down 'round the Alligator river reserve, below Manteo. I have never seen one that light in color even immediately followin a shed, it's a beauty, thanx for sharin bud. I'd look at yer snake pics all day long.
Are the copperheads in yer area that light also ? Bet ya got some beautifull orange and gold specimens.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:o !@#$%^&*()+? Snake: "BOOM -BOOM" ;D

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
River Rat said:

;) RR

I'd love to hear this story. I know I was chased by one and it bit the heal of my boot and me on a dead run! They are seriously fast and mean~

~Nash~

PS......the ONLY good Cottonmouth is a DEAD ONE!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the story of the chase/attack...I don't know if y'all know that moccasins/cottonmouths have a odor to them, the dogs will scent them and kill. Thank goodness for that, cause I would had been bitten many times, I've seen the dogs bitten lots of times too.

Ok, you know I live in the swamps on a river, so I have my share of these nasty critters. On this particular day, I had been keeping a close eye on a cow that was having a calf. She had moved to different locations and finally right on the river bank. I left her alone for about 2 hours so she could clean her calf up, and after the calf was up & nursing I would come back to drive her away from the riverbank. Well, when I was ready to head back down there, I heard her mooing & snorting like crazy and she was pawing the ground & charging at something. When I got there (on the ATV), I saw the cottonmouth striking at her and she was trying to protect her baby. Well, the cow dog (Ike), who is a snake killer knew well enough to stay away from a cow that just had a calf, so he was no help to me at the time. I picked up the longest, biggest cypress limb, now that thing was about 12' long...the limb, not the snake. I walked toward the snake and slammed the stick down on his head or was it the body ??? Anyway, the 12' limb broke so it was now about 8' long well, that snake was charging me I just kept slamming down on him as I was scooting backward. My heart had already jumped out of my chest, cause I was backing into water, I was literally scared, my knees were knocking like crazy & my whole body was shaking. Well, I had managed to grab another thicker limb and really crashed him in good & dead. It took me about 4 hours to calm down, even after I walked into the house I was still cautious of a snake lurking behind a chair ready to jump at me. :o To this day, I always carry a .22 rifle or pistol with me.

;) RR

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Smart gal RiverRat....I carry a 40 SW with me when prospecting areas with snakes. Thank the lord that there are no cottonmouths up here. Rattlesnakes are not too uncommon where I prospect though, and right tasty when grub is low and gold is good.
;D

~Nash~

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting