Baby buzzard (vulture)

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
There's a grown vulture that hangs around our property and mostly sits in an old dead tree out in the pasture. I've seen it go into the open attic of an old house that's been gutted and turned into a tractor shed so I figured it had a nest out there. Today I was walking by my tractor and I hear something hiss at me from underneath. I jumped back and looked under there expecting to see a snake or something and it turned out to be a juvenile vulture. I guess he left the nest in the attic but can't fly yet. He wasn't too happy about me taking his pic but he settled down again once I got a few yards away. Cute little cuss, in an ugly sort of way...

DSC_0017.jpg

Cheryl

Nov 28, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Cool picture!! They start out looking like their parents, don't they.
Great way to describe it! :D
Cute little cuss, in an ugly sort of way...

Thanks for sharing.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
rofl I just realized my reply looked like it was replying to Ron instead of the original post....TOOOOO funny! rofl

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might want to step back..... I've read that vultures use projectile vomiting as a defense. ;)

And you know what they eat

OP
OP
hsjrev

hsjrev

Jul 27, 2007
W. TN
Rob in KS said:
Might want to step back..... I've read that vultures use projectile vomiting as a defense. ;)

And you know what they eat

Yuk! I guess I'll scrap my idea for taming him and going into biker bars with him sitting on my shoulder like a big ol' parrot.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great shot, I've never seen one that young,

Fossis.............

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a lovely baby! We see adult vultures all the time (live on a hog farm) and boy are they ugly. Kind of like an opposite to the ugly duckling story. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions