tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, The smell was blowing in through the swamp cooler when the sun went down and it began to cool down. It smelled just like a campfire in the mountains... Some odd things can blow in and drop on Colorado. Once a large dust storm took place way out in NW Arizona and kicked up all the red desert dust and it came down all over the vehicle's here on the Rocky mountain front range. I'll never forget back in the early 1980s getting off a graveyard shift and seeing ash on all the cars from Mount Saint Helens out here in Colorado. I wished I'd a taken a credit card and scraped it all off the hood, trunk and roof of my car in a pile and saved it.

Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like the entire west coast is on fire. You might be getting LA smoke, but I think ours is staying right here. Here is a picture of the sun I took yesterday afternoon, full telephoto, looking directly at it with no lens filter. You could look directly at the sun and not squint at all. I know the smoke is affecting my health, because I can feel it. Don't know what it's like this morning, haven't been out in it yet, but looking out the window it looks about the same.
sun7A.jpg

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That brings this song to mind.

Attachments

• Red_Rubber_Ball_-_The_Cyrkle.jpg
    Red_Rubber_Ball_-_The_Cyrkle.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 183

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm wondering if you getting some smoke from the massive fires near Brookings, Oregon.
Anyways stay healthy.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, The smell was blowing in through the swamp cooler when the sun went down and it began to cool down. It smelled just like a campfire in the mountains... Some odd things can blow in and drop on Colorado. Once a large dust storm took place way out in NW Arizona and kicked up all the red desert dust and it came down all over the vehicle's here on the Rocky mountain front range. I'll never forget back in the early 1980s getting off a graveyard shift and seeing ash on all the cars from Mount Saint Helens out here in Colorado. I wished I'd a taken a credit card and scraped it all off the hood, trunk and roof of my car in a pile and saved it.

I was in Oregon heading to Washington after the Mountain blew. I had some baby jars full of the ash for years until I let a nephew take some for show and tell, never got it back......

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hazy up here at elevation, too, and a whiff of smoke from time to time. Haze might worsen this afternoon, due to exhaust from idling cars on E. Bound I-70, which is slowly turning into one long parking lot from Summit to Denver.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Smoke just cleared out here about a week ago, but now there's another
fire burning just the other side of the mountains from us (N. Cascades).
No doubt we'll be getting some of that smoke soon enough.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess everybody is clueless to all the fires here in Montana? We have not had any rain for months and we have over 600,000 acres already burned up and more new fires starting. I guess with the problem down in Texas we have been totally ignored. We have asked for federal assistance but have been totally ignored in that aspect. I would guarantee that the smoke that you are getting is from Montana. We have been experiencing smokey conditions for at least two weeks. Most days you can find ash on your vehicles, almost reminds you of when Mt. St Helen's erupted.

PLEASE PRAY FOR RAIN!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess everybody is clueless to all the fires here in Montana? We have not had any rain for months and we have over 600,000 acres already burned up and more new fires starting. I guess with the problem down in Texas we have been totally ignored. We have asked for federal assistance but have been totally ignored in that aspect. I would guarantee that the smoke that you are getting is from Montana. We have been experiencing smokey conditions for at least two weeks. Most days you can find ash on your vehicles, almost reminds you of when Mt. St Helen's erupted.

PLEASE PRAY FOR RAIN!
I guess it wouldn't be very pertinent to leave a like to this news OD. I've heard about Montana. My wife was showing me a picture sent to her of around Butte. It's terrible. The moon last night here was orange. My prayers are with you.

Attachments

• moon 090417.jpg
    moon 090417.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just seconds ago my daughter who's now in Key West text me she was just given an order to evacuate from her hotel. I didn't think that hurricane Irma was going to hit the tip of Florida till Saturday. Guess they all want to get a head start on it.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hazy up here at elevation, too, and a whiff of smoke from time to time. Haze might worsen this afternoon, due to exhaust from idling cars on E. Bound I-70, which is slowly turning into one long parking lot from Summit to Denver.
And they all said we miners of Colorado were the major threat to the natural environment of the pristine Rocky Mountains. If only they could see what was and what is now by their own works, but they never will. FYI Colorado is just about full now. Maybe I'll go back to Iowa. 40 plus years here is maybe enough and things back there stay pretty much the same?

Attachments

• iowa.jpg
    iowa.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 71

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a gorgeous pic, and yep, it looks like Iowa...:occasion14:

Didn't get out to check the Moon til about 2am, and saw right off that
the sky was very hazy, and when I saw that pumpkin colored Moon
barely penetrating the haze, I realized we were smoked in again...:BangHead:

As the Sun rose this morning, the sky stayed hazy orange, and to make matters
worse it's supposed to hit near 100F. here today. The fires are on the other side
of the mountains, and all the smoke is boiling back over the 10,000+ ft. peaks
of the Cascades.

I may have to drive up into the high country tomorrow just to find some fresh air! 8-)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PLEASE PRAY FOR RAIN!
I'm aware o.d. and keepin you guys in mind.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PLEASE PRAY FOR RAIN!

Prayers sent!

Smoke boils up volcanically from the Chetco Bar Fire in Curry County, currently the largest wildfire in Oregon at over 167,000 acres.
It is threatening our town.

Chetco_Bar_Fire_081717.png

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
The "likes" are my prayers. You are all correct, the only news I'm hearing about the fires is from your postings. Stay safe!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You for the prayers! Starting yesterday we have been getting a very good steady rain and snow in the higher elevations. Thanks again.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess they can no longer consider looking again at the bans on logging, now that so many acres of trees are burned up and gone. This disaster may have been avoided had there not been so many trees per acre like it is now. Less trees per acre could have kept the fires burning lower more along the ground instead of upward in to the dense brush and dry needles. :dontknow: OV's photo is a perfect example of what I'm referring to.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread