Turkey Run State Park (Indiana)

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello all,,,
We were lucky enough to get out of town last weekend and went over to Turkey Run State Park. ( No Metal Detectors Allowed :( )If you haven't been there yet, you should definitely put it on your list. Most of the wooden structures, the suspension bridge, and walkways, were built back in the 70's and lead their way through many different sandstone gorges and ravines...
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

We went on some of the ruffest trails there and had a blast, although my calf muscles are still sore today. Here a shot of some ladders we had to climb down to get into one of the gorges. The second pic is a shot at the top of the ladders.
4.jpg
5.jpg

Also, no trip can be complete without taking the little one. She had a blast as well, loved all the big rocks,, she can say, "Rock" really well. :) I think every rock we went by she was saying "rock, rock... lol... She managed most of the trails pretty well, but did have a slight mishap over one of the mud puddles. She wasn't too happy about that at the time, but although, she was hot, sweaty, and had mud down her shirt, she still popped back into to having a good time...
6.jpg
7.jpg

Hope ya all enjoy the pics.
I know I really enjoyed taking them. I don't get to see much scenery like this...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
great pictures! The park looks like a fascinating day trip and your lil one is adorable! Thanks so much for sharing!

bytheriver

Jul 11, 2006
Wonderful photos....very well done!

Lil one's face tells the story.....Whew, Dad we did it!

River

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Dumb question, where is it?

My father's part of IN is flat and corn. This looks interesting.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Yeah I saw the URL. So in other words you couldn't be bothered just answering my question.

I know..."just Google it".

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid response.

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Thanks all,,,
Indiana does have some hills, rocks, and other natural wonders. Most of which are located in southern Indiana, Brown county, down around Bloomington, and out around Terre Haute.
There are a lot of place where the bedrock is showing.

The park is located in the western part of the state just above Rockville, IN. Rockville is located just north of Terre Haute. Here's a link to the map from their website:
http://www.indianaoutfitters.com/Maps/state_park_maps/turkeymaps.htm

Good luck all, & Happy hunting~

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a lesson to us all!!!! I lived in central Illinois for about 11 years and actually commuted to Terre Haute Indiana for a job from a small town in Illinois for a couple years.

I even golfed at Turkey Run Golf Course once and drove past the entrance numerous times. Always said to myself "I hear that's a beautiful place to visit and go tubing down the river there".

Well, today I'm living in New Hampshire with the mountains, Boston and the ocean less than 1.5 hours in either direction, and I never did visit Turkey Run SP - I obviously missed out on an opportunity to see a beautiful scenic place - all because I kept thinking "one of these days...." and it just never came.

I've been in NH for a few years now and I can say I learned from that lesson and I've visited Boston many times, been to a couple Red Sox games, climbed Mount Washington, swam in the ocean, etc...

Don't ever say "one of these days..." - just go for it and you'll be shocked at some of the things you'll find right next door that you never knew existed or didn't know where as special as they are.

Excellent pics :-)

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
ah, what's a sore leg? lol looks like it was well worth it!
Your little one is just beautiful! some of my favorite pics of my kids when they were little is the 'messy' ones :) what's a little mud?:)

bushlight

Aug 24, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Ace 250 hanging on the wall,Whites mxt,garrett at pro that the girlfriend uses now
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to check this county out October 12-21-07. That is when the covered bridge festival runs.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful scenery shots and the little one is precious.

;) RR

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Covered Bridge festival is loads of fun!!! More flea markets and garage sales than you can shake a stick at and the most beautiful fall foliage and weather seems to happen around that time too!

The last couple years I hit the festival it was starting to really get too commercialized for me though unfortunately :( Too many "T shirt stands," arts and crafts tables and other crap booths and not enough "junk/fleamarket" tables to dig through for that treasure you know has to be there!!!

Still alot of fun though!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread