Vail Colorado

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Taken last Tuesday...... I almost didn't stop because of the clutter in the foreground. As usual I was on the wrong side of the freeway, but figured I'd try to show the fall colors anyway. Pulled over at the chain off area on I-70 west bound and took a couple of quick snapshots.

You have to click on the pics about three times to view full size so you can see the golfers in the lower right corner of one of them. They seem to add some scale to the pic.

Attachments

• 00def1.JPG
    00def1.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 79
  • 003def2.JPG
    003def2.JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Won't be long and you'll be dragging those chains out if your again in that area. I won't go east over Vail pass at night anymore when they have the chain law in effect. It's way too much of a mess. I'll call it a night somewhere west of Glenwood Springs and get over it in the morning.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Won't be long and you'll be dragging those chains out if your again in that area. I won't go east over Vail pass at night anymore when they have the chain law in effect. It's way too much of a mess. I'll call it a night somewhere west of Glenwood Springs and get over it in the morning.
I know what you mean Grant. I've had to chain a few times on that hill. I try not to go over at night either.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen truckers busted by state troopers for no chains and they're 3/4 of the way to the summit and moving along just fine. Once they call for chains on all trucks, it all slows down and I've seen trucks lining up in a stretch that's over 2 miles long waiting in right lane to get to the pull off. That's when things get really screwed up. Then CDOT just closes the pass. I've been going over that pass since they first opened it more than 40 years now and in the past it was to your own discretion to go with chains or not and it never got as jumbled up as it does today. Sure some trucks would lose traction and they'd simply pull over and get the chains on. Other drivers just made it without chains. It all moved along much better that way IMO.

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean Grant. I've had to chain a few times on that hill. I try not to go over at night either.
Well last night it turned into a circus on Vail Pass. Westbound I-70 was closed at Copper and east bound wasn't much better.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions