tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drove out to Elko, Nevada from Denver yesterday and these are some of the things I saw along the way. When I get to Laramie Wyoming, I like to go west from there out on old highway 30. It's a good road that goes around a big hill known as the Elk Mountain stretch of Interstate 80. It's pretty quiet out there and truckers prefer it in the winter more then the Elk Mountain section of I80 as that part of 80 can be a real mess during those Wyo blizzards. 30 is flatter and has more often less blowing and drifting snow during a storm. It was a 12 hour trip, but after reading this plaque about what this fella did in 1903 on a motorcycle in Medicine Bow I thought then I've got it pretty dang easy. AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | George Wyman

Attachments

• trip 102317 1.jpg
    trip 102317 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 49
  • trip 102317 2.jpg
    trip 102317 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 61
  • trip 102317 3.jpg
    trip 102317 3.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 69
  • trip 102317 4.jpg
    trip 102317 4.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 64
  • trip 102317 5.jpg
    trip 102317 5.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 44
  • trip 102317 6.jpg
    trip 102317 6.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 53

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a pretty cool history lesson to start the day. Your photos are awesome! Thanks for posting. :sunny:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hwy 30 (or the "low road" as we called it) was always a good option
when the wind was blowing 70-100 mph. up on Elk Mtn. It would
still get some bad drifts, but it was better than going over the hill
when it was nasty.

Ever notice the lack of trees on top of Elk Mtn.? That's cause the wind
would blow so hard nothing could grow much taller than a few inches.
Twice I watched as trailers got blown over right at the summit. Gorgeous
in Summer, but a real SOB in Winter!

My favorite stretch of 30 was from Little America, through Kemmerer
and then on to I-15 at McCammon, ID. One of the best truck stops in the
country was in Montpelier, ID., and they didn't let you leave until they
were sure you were full! Best breakfast in the US, hands down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hwy 30 (or the "low road" as we called it) was always a good option
when the wind was blowing 70-100 mph. up on Elk Mtn. It would
still get some bad drifts, but it was better than going over the hill
when it was nasty.

Ever notice the lack of trees on top of Elk Mtn.? That's cause the wind
would blow so hard nothing could grow much taller than a few inches.
Twice I watched as trailers got blown over right at the summit. Gorgeous
in Summer, but a real SOB in Winter!

My favorite stretch of 30 was from Little America, through Kemmerer
and then on to I-15 at McCammon, ID. One of the best truck stops in the
country was in Montpelier, ID., and they didn't let you leave until they
were sure you were full! Best breakfast in the US, hands down.
I brokedown in Kemmerer some time ago. I stayed two nights waiting on an alternator. Who would know it's the place where J.C. Penny's began? Folks there made sure I had Jesus in my heart, before I got out a town I recall. One time and one time only did I ever get caught in a blizzard on Elk Mountain. I was coming down the west side and everything came to a halt. There where big trucks end to end all the way Rawlings. Never will I allow myself to get caught in weather like that up there again.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Grant, do you have a CB radio in your car/truck? If so, give the
drivers a shout either in Laramie or Cheyenne (depends which way
yer goin') and they'll tell you what's going on up on the hill.

Always better to stay warm at one of the truck stops than to sit up
there at 7800' and freeze your booty off!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grant, do you have a CB radio in your car/truck? If so, give the
drivers a shout either in Laramie or Cheyenne (depends which way
yer goin') and they'll tell you what's going on up on the hill.

Always better to stay warm at one of the truck stops than to sit up
there at 7800' and freeze your booty off!
I took the radio out some time ago. Seem no one wants to gab anymore. I'm thinking the mobile phone changed all that? A lot a folks have become less engaged with each other since the internet and cell phone came along. Been a long time since anybody ask me if I read the news paper today. We definitely are not all on the same page anymore.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CB-ers are still around here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayton_Hamvention

My brother got a radio when he was like 16-17. I would have been 7-8. We would stay up all night talking to truck drivers.
Yeah, I hear back east CB's are still widely used more. I should probably get one, because they still are the best way to get a real time update on traffic, road conditions and where smoky is. Heck I can at least talk to the lady's in Wells when I go by there.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, I hear back east CB's are still widely used more. I should probably get one,
because they still are the best way to get a real time update on traffic, road
conditions and where smoky is.

Driving a big truck it's almost a "must have". I knew drivers that left
it off 90% of the time, and others who never turned the thing down.

When in the open country (away from big cities) I chatted quite a bit.
Wasn't unusual for 2 or 3 trucks to run along together and just shoot
the breeze, or tell jokes all night to keep each other awake (most of
which I can't remember, or certainly couldn't tell in mixed company..:laughing7: )

Anytime I got near a big city or within a mile or two of a truck stop I'd
usually turn it all the way down, or off. The racket around truck stops is
insufferable, and is usually nothing more than a bunch of boneheads
wasting their time drinking coffee and BS'n when they should be out on
the road making money.

Unless they've seen the cop with the last 5 minutes, ignore the bear reports.
They listen in too, and will frequently move around. Hell, out there you're
speed limits are fast enough you don't need to speed..:occasion14:

Heck I can at least talk to the lady's in Wells when I go by there.

All depends on how busy they are. Got stuck in Wells one winter when they closed I-80
because of 60 mph winds and 5' deep snow drifts. I can tell you the coffee's always hot
and fresh, and they're real kind people. And yes, I went in, got my coffee and chatted
for a few minutes, and then went out and slept in my truck..

Old truckers rule #1: Never bring anything home to mama that she can't eat, cook or wear. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing! :icon_thumright:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drove out to Elko, Nevada from Denver yesterday and these are some of the things I saw along the way. When I get to Laramie Wyoming, I like to go west from there out on old highway 30. It's a good road that goes around a big hill known as the Elk Mountain stretch of Interstate 80. It's pretty quiet out there and truckers prefer it in the winter more then the Elk Mountain section of I80 as that part of 80 can be a real mess during those Wyo blizzards. 30 is flatter and has more often less blowing and drifting snow during a storm. It was a 12 hour trip, but after reading this plaque about what this fella did in 1903 on a motorcycle in Medicine Bow I thought then I've got it pretty dang easy. AMA Motorcycle Museum Hall of Fame | George Wyman

50 day's in 1903 must have bee pretty wild until the industries started appearing along his Trip.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I see you went through Medicine Bow, Grant. Chris and I stayed there a couple of summers back. Stayed at the old Virginian Hotel. Of all the places we've stayed over the years, that was the absolute worst. Hot, noisy, and mosquitos. No A/C, no fans. One openable window, so no breeze. It would have been more comfortable sleeping in the car!...LOL
Jim

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you went through Medicine Bow, Grant. Chris and I stayed there a couple of summers back. Stayed at the old Virginian Hotel. Of all the places we've stayed over the years, that was the absolute worst. Hot, noisy, and mosquitos. No A/C, no fans. One openable window, so no breeze. It would have been more comfortable sleeping in the car!...LOL
Jim
Thanks for the heads up on that place Jim. I thought I might stay there sometime. Over the years I have spent the night in some old historic places. Some are pretty neat and others not so much. It's always fun to take these old highway routes when you have the time. It's interesting to see the way it was and what's left along the ways before the interstate system came along.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the heads up on that place Jim. I thought I might stay there sometime. Over the years I have spent the night in some old historic places. Some are pretty neat and others not so much. It's always fun to take these old highway routes when you have the time. It's interesting to see the way it was and what's left along the ways before the interstate system came along.
I agree! Nothing like hitting the old byways to see how it was in the 30's, 40's, and 50's. Some of those old towns had railroads before they had paved road access.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread