tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are a shots of a cave between Dinosaur and Rangely up in the north west part of Colorado. I pretty much stopped to take a break from the drive home. The last time I stopped here I did go down into the cave below and I got kind of an eerie feeling when I was in it, so I don't think I'd like ever spending the night in it anytime, though that might be a unique kind of experience to try some night, don't ya think ?? :icon_pale:. This time I need to be on the move if I intended on getting ahead of a coming storm in the mountains going home. I zoomed in on some of the rock art you will see there down below. The only artifact I found was this unfired 243 shell that looks to have been run over and sitting our in the element for a while.

Attachments

• trip 102717 1.jpg
    trip 102717 1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 58
  • trip 102717 2.jpg
    trip 102717 2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 77
  • trip 102717 3.jpg
    trip 102717 3.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 45

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is the cave in a park or anything?

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is the cave in a park or anything?
No it's not. It's a place of the boogeyman from what I can tell by the images they left on the rock. It's just a little ways off Colorado Hwy 64. There are a few more sites around the area also. They were called the Fremont Indians, but the Ute's also left their marks.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like a great camping spot if a fire wouldn't be seen from the road

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a great camping spot if a fire wouldn't be seen from the road
Nope a fire wouldn't be seen from the highway, but if someone drove along the road where I parked it would be seen. It's a pretty sparsely populated area, so I guess you could get away with it.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gps coords please

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's what I'm talking about/ you never fail

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
about 3 years ago went to S and N dakota
drove through some grassland going to ND
there was a campground in the middle of no where
wanted to camp in an area with no man made lighting, but this place made me think
this would be the perfect place to hide a body

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about 3 years ago went to S and N dakota
drove through some grassland going to ND
there was a campground in the middle of no where
wanted to camp in an area with no man made lighting, but this place made me think
this would be the perfect place to hide a body
100 + year old mine shafts that drop 600' and are flooded at the bottom would be even better.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've mentioned this before, but have a friend in the Black Hills who lives on land his great great grandfather patented. Has several mines going back in. He told how he lived in one of the mines for many years, but when he got married, wife said No Way! :laughing7:

At least he knows he's always got a quiet place to go should the wife ever kick him out. :tongue3:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
These are a shots of a cave between Dinosaur and Rangely up in the north west part of Colorado. I pretty much stopped to take a break from the drive home. The last time I stopped here I did go down into the cave below and I got kind of an eerie feeling when I was in it, so I don't think I'd like ever spending the night in it anytime, though that might be a unique kind of experience to try some night, don't ya think ?? :icon_pale:. This time I need to be on the move if I intended on getting ahead of a coming storm in the mountains going home. I zoomed in on some of the rock art you will see there down below. The only artifact I found was this unfired 243 shell that looks to have been run over and sitting our in the element for a while.

That cave looks like the one featured in part of the "Redneck Rampage" video game --- think it was "Suckin' Grits on Route 66" --- supposed to be haunted. Was supposed to be based on some real ruins in a cave in the southwest near the old Route 66.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a pretty cool place to look around a little more. I don't see anything sinister about it. I see three figures with upraised hands like in greeting, but lookin at the rest of the pic, that could mean 'stay back, a bird may crap on you here!' hahaha!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a pretty cool place to look around a little more. I don't see anything sinister about it. I see three figures with upraised hands like in greeting, but lookin at the rest of the pic, that could mean 'stay back, a bird may crap on you here!' hahaha!
Yeah, idk? Something gave me the willy's. When I went down there and in the cave it was in the heat of the summer and seeing that inscription of that rattlesnake, kinda made me think? Also I'm not sure of what this image is of a deity with a hole in it's chest and tree frog fingers on its hands and feet is all about ? After a while in the road I've found there are places you feel welcome and other you don't feel so welcome to be there. There are some towns I won't stay in.

Attachments

• IMG_20171030_173116.jpg
    IMG_20171030_173116.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Last edited:

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always trust your gut. If someplace gives you the heebie jeebies call in close air support and/or haul a@@ and bypass.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually when you see those curvilinear type glyphs it is a representation of a nearby waterway, but yeah I'd say that's a snake. Probably telling us there's snakes around there. I found the glyphs in that upper left quarter that you circled the most interesting. Sometimes they would incorporate natural features of the rock into the glyph, and that little circle might have been a raised spot and fit pretty good into the figure. I have no clue what that is pecked out to the left of that figure though. Kinda like a moonflower seed, but just a w.a.g. It's always interesting to study those and try to figure out if they mean anything.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah no telling what that odd image is?... I thought looked like a big kidney bean? Also I thought it could be a depiction of a water bag made of maybe animal intestine or gut? Dang thing is nobody was around to ask what is all this ?? It's a great place to stop and look around the sites that are up around Rangley. Almost anytime of the year you can explore the area, as the weather is strange around there. Something causes the cold weather patterns to split leaving clear sunshine over the canyons and every where around it is like a blizzard. I've seen it many times as I come into Rangley and it be cold and foggy, but just a ways to the south in Pintado the rocks are warm with the sunshine beating down on them. That pass to the south going to the Grand Valley of the Colorado river can be a real son of a gun in the winter. Fun place to get out of the vehicle and start looking around. Very quiet place for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread