WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Last weekend, when I was taking my photos for Treasurenet, I started with Marblehead Lighthouse. It was very warm and there were lots of visitors, even though the lighthouse was closed for the season.
Marblehead Lighthouse was built in 1821 and is the oldest lighthouse in continuous operation on all of the Great Lakes. The first lamps used whale oil and coal oil. Kerosene was used next to power lamps that looked similar to Coleman lanterns. The next upgrade was to incandescent electric. In 2013, the switch was made to solid-state light emitting diodes. In 1947, the U. S. Coast Guard maintained the lighthouse and the State of Ohio, Division of Parks and Recreation used the Keeper's House as a dormitory. In 1968, the 5th District Congressman Delbert Latta began the legwork to save the lighthouse and Keeper's house. Thirty years later, on the eve of the scheduled burning of the Keeper's House (the straw was already in place encircling the house for the controlled burn), the State of Ohio was given control, and thus saved the house. It was declared a state park on June 6, 1998. The Keeper's House was built in 1880 and has housed 16 keeper's and their families, plus numerous assistant keepers stayed on the second floor. The original Keeper, Benajah Wolcott had a personal house about 2 miles from the lighthouse. This is very near the Causeway to Johnson's Island. I did not get a picture of it though.

IMG_0069.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

Some views of Lake Erie

IMG_0072.JPG

Cedar Point

IMG_0075.JPG

Then on my way to Johnson's Island, I realized I passed up the Causeway and had to turn around. this is where I pulled in.

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

Nothing more than a marker, parking lot, and a swath of grass with a picnic table.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More great pic's & history learned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions