Jay Bird

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
This is an older picture from when I lived in Oregon. A Steller's Jay at my old suet feeder. This bird could imitate a lot of bird sounds, including a red winged blackbird.
Once we heard what sounded like a strange cat saying meow outside the door, and discovered it was this thing trying to locate our cats so he could steal the cat food from the bowl on the steps.

Attachments

• 6778STJ.JPG
    6778STJ.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 51

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got two pictures of the Steller's. They just don't sit still long enough for pictures, so ya gotta be quick. I'm always trying to get a good shot of one where the crest feathers on it's head are fully extended out when I see them. Both my pictures they have the crest feathers in the laid back position.

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful.

Don't think I have met one of that type yet.

Are they a Western Bird?

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Beautiful.

Don't think I have met one of that type yet.

Are they a ska Western Bird?

Yes. They are native to western North America, found from Alaska to northern Nicaragua. Also known as long-crested Jay, mountain Jay, and pine Jay.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Locally we have both the Stellar Jay, and the California Scrub Jay. If one of them, either kind, makes no difference, spots you walking in the woods, it will tell every other critter in those woods that you are there, over and over again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread