need advise on how to trap a coon

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid we lived in a very rural area. We used to sit on the front porch and feed the racoons. They would walk right up and take food out of your hand. This was before the whole racoons have rabies scare. These coons were almost as tame as our cats. I wouldn't advise trying that now. Rabies is far more prevalent in racoons now. Didn't seem to be a problem then but what did I know I was just a kid.

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if this is legal where you are. It is not legal here in Michigan to my knowledge, even though I have heard of people using this method.

You need two things, one is Coca Cola. Yep, the soda pop that you drink. The second thing you need is fly bait. The fly bait looks like aquarium gravel as used on dairy farms. It comes in a small can. On time I went to the elevator while getting chicken feed and asked if they had any fly bait just to see if they had it. They told me nope -They did not carry it any more because they were catching flak for selling it to people who may have been using it for getting rid of critters other then flies.

You take a little saucer, pour some coke in it, then add a tablespoon or so of fly bait. Put it out near where you have seen the coon. Next morning you will find a dead coon within ten feet of the bowl. Most will die right there at the bowl. Any coons who drink it will never make it 20 feet.

One farmer I used to know had his sweet corn being devoured every night. He put a bowl of this stuff out and no kidding he got five coons the first day. He ended up getting 13 coons within two weeks.

Cats do not seem to drink this stuff, neither do skunks, but coons love it.

Be careful and do not break the law ;)

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I raised a coon as a pet one time after the mama got ran over. It was the cutest best pet we had. It was litter box trained and was a rather tidy little guy. His favorite treat was kool-aide and ice cubes, and they love chicken bones.

Anyway I was always raised if you kill it you eat it, unless they attack you. So I applaud those that trap and release somewhere else. These critters are only trying to survive after all, and trust me I know what a pain in the butt and the damage they can do, but even at that I wouldn't have the heart to kill them.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Place the contents of the sardine can in a ladies stocking. Now tie a knot in the stocking to isolate the contents in one area. Then hang it from the back of the cage so that it's suspended off the ground. Use the funnel method to channel the critter into the cage by placing the cage along a wall and or using stick or other obstacles on the other side to funnel the critter into the cage (so that the critter can't get to the cage from the sides).

Try to mask your sent, ware gloves, boil the trap in black oak bark helps a lot too, schooled coons aren’t dumb like possums.

trapperman.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread