Attachments

• coon.JPG
    coon.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 430

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Nice picture! We have a coon around. Without my knowledge the "boys" set out the have a heart trap, they used a tuna sandwich? The next morning, before I awake, they sneak out, and find a very unhappy kitty. They thought that was pretty funny, until I found out ;). I did give them a pretty hard time, but I thought it was pretty funny myself. That was the end of the trap :D!

Good luck to you!

rcawdor57

Jul 17, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Tesoro Cortes, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer SE
;D I have trapped many Racoons, Opossums and cats in my "Hav-A-Heart" traps and usually I catch Racoons with chicken bones. Get the left overs from KFC and put them in the trap(s). The chances of catching the Racoon are pretty good but then again I never knew what I was going to find in the trap. I usually checked my traps at 4:30 or 5 A.M. and released them before light in a new neighborhood. They aren't too friendly and care must be taken when moving the cage. Wear heavy (I mean HEAVY) duty gloves for handling the trap and when you release them make sure they cannot come back at ya! Expect to catch cats, Racoons and Opossums and if you have Skunk in the area you may catch one of those cute fellows. MM.. smelly guys!

RC

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had good luck with apples. There is less chance of catching undesirables. Though you might get a squirrel, or a rabbit if you set the trap on the ground....but at least you can eat those critters! ;D

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Justgeese....LMAO. That's what I was thinking as well. Raccoons are nasty critters and can carry rabies. I hit two of them with my car last year at the same time, one with each front wheel. They were chasing each other, so I did the world a favor and didn't try real hard to avoid them ;).

BPMM

VanGone

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2007
They are an easy animal to catch in traps such as the one you have as long as it is one big enough. As the other posters said you risk catching anything that is carnivorous,and that does mean skunk and the neighbors cat.Skunk usually wont spray an till threatened by you as a person,but they can be nasty getting out of a trap.As for the coon make sure they cant get the bait from outside the trap. I use to cover that end so they had to crawl in to get it Chicken or fish scrapes work great, They do love sardines .. Before you release them shake the Heck out of the trap and when you open that door they will go out of there fast as a bullet.Hope this helps some
Van

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also i will toos this in..if you plan to release it take it far away..at least 5 miles...racoons travel pretty far and if you only take it a couple miles it will find its way back!!!!
As in previous post cover the back end and place the sardines clear in the back so they have to crawl in to get them!!

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for everyones input! :o

I confirmed with my neighbor, they did actually see a coon on the roof. We set the small animal cage at the base of the tree we believe the coon is climbing. As suggested, I place a can of sardines at the very back of the cage. I plan to get up about 5a and check the trap. Will keep all advised....... ;)

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also just in case when you release it keep a firearm handy.. i let one go once and he ran out and came back at me.....got a few dollars for his pelt..

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
teverly said:
Also just in case when you release it keep a firearm handy.. i let one go once and he ran out and came back at me.....got a few dollars for his pelt..

If there is a coon in it in the morn, It'll be one angry critter. I'll just just shoot it with this single shot bolt action 22. :P

That way no human gets hurt. ;)

Attachments

• single shot bolt action 22.JPG
    single shot bolt action 22.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 409

trapper bob

Mar 22, 2005
mid-michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinshooter 2, Garrett GTA 1000 Ultra, Bounty Hunter Landstar, Bounty Hunter Lonestar
I use MARSHMELLOW`S----------------set one about 2 ft in front of the trap and 3 on the pan(trigger) in the trap...........30+ years of trapping and it hasn`t failed me yet! Relocating 5 mi away will insure not having to deal with this perticular animal again but, rest assured he/she has family and friends within hollerin range of your home and ya can`t do a whole lot about it. Urban sprall has made urban raccoons------why forage in the woods for berries and bugs when you can eat an endless supply of bird food and human garbage? ------------------------------------------------thanks for letting me vent on man`s encrochment on OUR WILDERNESS***************Trapper Bob

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've lost many expensive birds to raccoons. One night heard my little dog screaming and this huge mother trucker was trying to catch her. I got the 4-10 shot gun from under my bed and shot my first animal right in front of my little kids. The coon was bitin' it's butt and my kids where hootin and hollering for me to blast that bugger again. I only had one more shell with me and got it's butt again but by the time I ran to my dresser and back out it was half-way down the field.
I say the only good raccoon is a dead one! I even use hav a heart traps to catch them before my husband takes care of them. Just my 2 cents. ;)

OP
OP
-Jones-

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I set the trap last night with a fresh can of sardines in the back of it, 5a this morning, no critter, will try again! ;)

Attachments

• empty trap.JPG
    empty trap.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 348

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to cover the end with the bait, or place
it in the center, back, or it will reach in & steal the
bait from the outside.

Fossis...............

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definetley a Have-A-Heart....I used to catch the little one's and sell them to my buddie's brother for $5.00 apiece so he could start training his Walker pup's.Sardine's!!!

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also,make sure there is no other food source around....

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I could tell you about a sheet of metal, two pieces of rubber, a metal pie pan, and 240 volts catching critters you don't want around but the bunny hugger's would probably wet themselves and id have to listen to the whining for the next week.

If you catch it and let it go it will just come back, better off shooting it.

Aaron

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
I'd be cautious about electricity to chase a coon away. I remember reading years ago about some old guy who strung a live wire around his garden to keep coon out. Only thing was, it was strung a few feet off the ground . Some young kids were messing around the guys garden and one ran into the wire and it killed him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread