Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
T11.JPG T12.JPG T13.JPG T13.JPG T14.JPG T15.JPG T16.JPG T16.JPG T17.JPG T18.JPG T18.JPG T19.JPG T20.JPG T21.JPG T22.JPG T22.JPG T23.JPG T24.JPG T25.jpg T27.JPG T26.JPG eagle talk.jpg I captured these shots in 2010, 2011, 2012 Hope you enjoy.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typical eagle, always squaking about something.

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! They are all just beautiful! Really like the red head woodpecker, bob white, cedar waxwing, gosh, I like em all!!!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You have a lot more patience than I do. Great pictures. What kind of bird has the blue head and red body ------- 3rd from last.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kray...wow...incredible shots. :occasion14:

You've certainly invested in good equipment, and knowing
how to use it really shows in your pics.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spectacular shots. :icon_thumleft:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice photos, and excellent selection of birds. I see the birds while detecting, but they far off and my phone doesn’t catch them.

Well done sir.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
So,what have you captured since 2010,11 and 12??

You certainly have the eye for it! What do you capture your subjects with?

GOD Bless

Chris

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow nice photos. Love watching birds.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have a lot more patience than I do. Great pictures. What kind of bird has the blue head and red body ------- 3rd from last.[/QUOT

Little Blue Heron, the one with it's wings spread is a juvenile Tri Colored Heron.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kray...wow...incredible shots. :occasion14:

You've certainly invested in good equipment, and knowing
how to use it really shows in your pics.

Thanks. My camera gear has been laying idle for a few years. Other things, you know.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice photos, and excellent selection of birds. I see the birds while detecting, but they far off and my phone doesn’t catch them.

Well done sir.

Even with a 500mm lense, closeness counts. My better shots, I am usually within 10 or 15 feet. Except for the herons. they're large enough, a hundred feet will still capture a good shot.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So,what have you captured since 2010,11 and 12??

You certainly have the eye for it! What do you capture your subjects with?

GOD Bless

Chris

Thanks. Good question. I just kind of set it aside. A lot of hours involved with getting out in the wild, full camo, face paint, setting up net blinds, or driving the National Forest roads at an idle, hoping for a lucky shot with window camera mount. My resident granddaughters got out of the baby stage, so was spending time doing things with them. The last time I fired it up for a few days was my trip to Fairbanks, AK three years ago. Got a few moose shots there.

Canon 7D, Sigma 28-70, Canon L 70-200, Sigma DG 150-500 OS, Manfrotto tripod, + misc stuff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have a lot more patience than I do. Great pictures. What kind of bird has the blue head and red body ------- 3rd from last.

Hey Bosn, just thought I'd give an example of what I would do to get a decent shot. The male wood duck shot. I drove twenty miles to a refuge. Parked, got my bicycle out of the back, loaded up my gear in the pannier baskets I had mounted either side of the back tire. Rode a couple miles, changed into rubber boots, in camo head to foot, face camo paint, then attached camera to tripod, got my back pack, walked a quarter mile to the flooded cornfield. Waded a half mile shin deep to a wooded dike in an old rice field, and walked along a drainage ditch in the brush for another half mile. Set up my camo netted screen blind about ten feet from the ditch, and settled down to wait for anything to show itself. A half hour later, I heard a sound above me, and a small group of wood duck dropped through the trees and landed right in front of me! Wow! Then they just hung out for a while, while I clicked away. The pic I posted was the best shot out of quite a few. They then paddled off out of sight. Seems like a lot of effort for one decent pic, but it was all worth it.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The bird I'm asking about is third from bottom, blue head, red body, patch of yellow. Never seen one or even knew they exist. In my younger days, I had lots of opportunities to get great pictures, but didn't own any kind of a decent camera or lenses. For instance, I worked on a ranch where wood ducks, among others, were taken for granted, along with all sorts of other critters, and when I was seeing them every day, there was no need to photograph. Also my only camera was almost a disposable Kodak for taking snap shots. You would be surprised what you can ride up on when you are horse back, and the wind is in your favor.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Good question. I just kind of set it aside. A lot of hours involved with getting out in the wild, full camo, face paint, setting up net blinds, or driving the National Forest roads at an idle, hoping for a lucky shot with window camera mount. My resident granddaughters got out of the baby stage, so was spending time doing things with them. The last time I fired it up for a few days was my trip to Fairbanks, AK three years ago. Got a few moose shots there.

Canon 7D, Sigma 28-70, Canon L 70-200, Sigma DG 150-500 OS, Manfrotto tripod, + misc stuff.
Huh! Maybe I should reconsider about me thinking I don't need to be spending money on some higher end camera gear. I do know it makes a big difference. Still I have a blast looking for encounters. I do a lot of window shopping at the better stuff, but I'm little aways from making any commitments. I first think I should take some instructions, so I can get the most out of any investment. You do make it look worth it, KG

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing pics thank you for sharing.

OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The bird I'm asking about is third from bottom, blue head, red body, patch of yellow. Never seen one or even knew they exist. In my younger days, I had lots of opportunities to get great pictures, but didn't own any kind of a decent camera or lenses. For instance, I worked on a ranch where wood ducks, among others, were taken for granted, along with all sorts of other critters, and when I was seeing them every day, there was no need to photograph. Also my only camera was almost a disposable Kodak for taking snap shots. You would be surprised what you can ride up on when you are horse back, and the wind is in your favor.

The bird you refer to is a male Painted Bunting. Only about 5 inches long. They're a southeast and Gulf Coast spring and summer visitor. Show up about May, breed, raise their young, and depart for Central and South America usually Aug./Sept. The green bird just above and right, in the grass, was this bird's female mate. These two shots were minutes apart. Examples of shots I could get using a window mount and the big lense. They were about 10 feet from me. They were feeding on the ripening grass seeds. They would clamp on the stem just below the seeds, and strip them all off in one motion. Pretty slick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kray Gelder

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Adorama.com, a New York (I think ), firm has excellent customer service, and are competitive. Ebay is a good source for decent used lenses. I don't think I would buy a used camera. Although that could work out. They are VERY sensitive to hard knocks. I had a less expensive Canon rebel, and dropped it about 1 foot, onto grass. Never focused right after that. Thanks for the kind words.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread