Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN3183.JPG

Looked out my bathroom window yesterday morning and saw this gorgeous fox heading up towards the house from the woods. I quietly opened the window and tossed out a few pieces of raw fatty bacon. When the fox saw my arm he (or she) ran off about fifty yards but came back in a few minutes and grabbed the bacon when I got this photo. I had seen it around a few times but never got a chance for such a close shot before.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great encounter... I saw a fox at night driving in the neighborhood a month ago. I thought most had been run of by the coyotes, so maybe they're coming back around ?

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. We have a lot up here and saw three this morning. We have a few of those silver foxes and I hope to someday get a pic of one of those.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking red, I bet it enjoyed the bacon more then some mouse--:icon_thumright:

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Cool. We have a lot up here and saw three this morning. We have a few of those silver foxes and I hope to someday get a pic of one of those.

Yep, silver fox pics would be great!

A few months ago, back in the spring, my wife and I saw a solid black fox on our way back from the doc's. Definitely a fox, but no white on the tail tip even.

Never saw one before (didn't even know there was such a creature). I've since seen vids and photos of other black foxes, but they all had white tips on their tails.

... and of all times to be both driving and without a camera!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, silver fox pics would be great!

A few months ago, back in the spring, my wife and I saw a solid black fox on our way back from the doc's. Definitely a fox, but no white on the tail tip even.

Never saw one before (didn't even know there was such a creature). I've since seen vids and photos of other black foxes, but they all had white tips on their tails.

... and of all times to be both driving and without a camera!

When are you going to learn when getting dressed for the day the camera goes around the neck.:laughing7:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You fed him, he'll be back. I'd have a treat out for him every day. Back when I was gainfully employed there was a fox family out by the log decks, and one of the babies was so tame that you could walk right up to the little guy. In those days there were otters and beavers in the log pond, and osprey and bald eagles fishing the same pond, foxes and deer on the edges of the property, but I suppose those days are gone. The mill is torn down and nothing is there. Lets hope the animals survived.
Here is the baby fox from long ago.
fox6.jpg

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You fed him, he'll be back. I'd have a treat out for him every day. Back when I was gainfully employed there was a fox family out by the log decks, and one of the babies was so tame that you could walk right up to the little guy. In those days there were otters and beavers in the log pond, and osprey and bald eagles fishing the same pond, foxes and deer on the edges of the property, but I suppose those days are gone. The mill is torn down and nothing is there. Lets hope the animals survived.
Here is the baby fox from long ago.
View attachment 1526036

Didn't look right,hope you don't mind,well...even if you did I posted it anyway.:laughing7:

fox6.jpg

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
do we even want to know why you have raw fatty bacon in the bathroom?

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't seen a fox for years. Very cool you got one hanging around.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not a critter killer, except the copperheads and biting insects. I don't allow hunting on my land, though that doesn't seem to bother the poachers.....

I haven't seen a fox here yet, but the coons, bear, deer and one bobcat/linx are here. All of our food scraps go into a pot in the back yard.

The last two nights the coyote have been howling loudly further up the holler behind me, sounded like a bunch of them.

That's a beautiful fox, and Chris's enhancement was really, really cool. You've got at least one good neighbor :)

Edit: Oh, and the skunks do the work getting all the yellow jacket nests cleaned out :)

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When are you going to learn when getting dressed for the day the camera goes around the neck.:laughing7:

Wife gives me the choice --- camera or wheel. Won't let me hold both.

Funny thing is --- she's a very good photographer, but since film has gone out of favor she has lost interest.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not a critter killer, except the copperheads and biting insects. I don't allow hunting on my land, though that doesn't seem to bother the poachers.....

I haven't seen a fox here yet, but the coons, bear, deer and one bobcat/linx are here. All of our food scraps go into a pot in the back yard.

The last two nights the coyote have been howling loudly further up the holler behind me, sounded like a bunch of them.

That's a beautiful fox, and Chris's enhancement was really, really cool. You've got at least one good neighbor :)

Edit: Oh, and the skunks do the work getting all the yellow jacket nests cleaned out :)

Any of these up that holler??

OP
OP
gunsil

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one of those whippies decide to adopt me a few years ago. I do love their nighttime calls but this one got on my bedroom window sill every night and sang like there was no tomorrow. Woke me up for a week or so then I got used to it and slept mostly through it's serenade. Became a comforting sleep sound and he/she stayed around my window sill all summer.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Any of these up that holler??

Oh certainly my friend! But when you asked that, I haven't heard them for a bit. Then, this is the first time in the 3 1/2 years I've lived up here the coyotes have come so close. That must mean a shortage of game further up. I think they tie in together.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh certainly my friend! But when you asked that, I haven't heard them for a bit. Then, this is the first time in the 3 1/2 years I've lived up here the coyotes have come so close. That must mean a shortage of game further up. I think they tie in together.

I used to lay awake at night down in the Great Smoky Mountains listening to that call for hours,that was 11 years ago,haven't heard it since. Did I ever tell you that was the best place I ever lived?:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions