Anyone Else "Experiment" With Editing???

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This image is one I discarded months ago, but since I had some time today to play with it, I decided to try a bit of an experiment ...

DSCN0025_1800t.jpg

Created a gradient overlay and mask, along with some patience ... was a definite improvement over the original boring pic.

Also have taken up playing with "Frequency Separation" for portrait editing.

For instance, here is the before image:

before_2.jpg

I did not take the pic (and it is in the public domain, free for "non commercial use"), but it was good for "educational" purposes (my education). There were quite a few items here that made the image less than flattering for the lady.

Acne and other problems.

Frequency separation is a cool process that separates the texture from the colors. It can be done with practically any photo editor, I used Paintshop Pro 2018.

Ignore the eyebrows (color problem because I was in a hurry at work trying to finish before leaving my break).

after_2.jpg

Notice that the acne is gone, and the skin's texture is almost perfect ...

I used the same process on the last rose image I posted here. There were quite a few imperfections (actually diseased areas) where I was able to clean up the color problems in some areas and textures in others.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Shadow
Your process make a very big difference in that picture of the girl...good results .
Gary

It's a great process for cleaning up headshots. You would be surprised what else it will do ... for instance, it can even "iron" the wrinkles out of a shirt in an image.

I like watching Unmesh Dinda's photoshop tutorials on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMrvLMUITAImCHMOhX88PYQ).

If you can get past the unibrow (my daughter has a fit every time I play one at home), and his thick accent, he is very good at teaching photoshop.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
162.JPG
About 1 month ago.C-17 is about 2,000 ft up.Again edited w/sharpness/contrast/brightness....Camera Nikon D3100 with 18-105mm zoom.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
View attachment 1528913
I've experimented with editing over the years.This aerial shot I touched up w/sharpness/contrast/brightness.Shot taken maybe 7 years ago w/a point & shoot Fuji Z-20 .
This one >> https://www.dpreview.com/files/p/articles/4109598447/z20fdred.jpeg

I love Fuji cameras ... I've owned a couple and got great results! Looks like you did as well.

Back when I used film cameras, I got hooked on the superior quality (IMO) of the Fuji film I tried one day when the shop was out of Kodak. Back then I used to do a lot of black & white night and indoor sports event shots (mostly motocross at the Superdome in New Orleans). Routinely shot 400 film at 1600 and then pushed the film to that speed. Much finer grain with the Fuji film when I was doing that, so that it wasn't so obvious that the film had been pushed.

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
View attachment 1528921
About 1 month ago.C-17 is about 2,000 ft up.Again edited w/sharpness/contrast/brightness....Camera Nikon D3100 with 18-105mm zoom.

Impressive job. You couldn't get it this detailed without a good shot to begin with, so very nice job. What software are you using to finish this up?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive job. You couldn't get it this detailed without a good shot to begin with, so very nice job. What software are you using to finish this up?

Thanks I used the side of a building to steady my arm. ...Just the Nikon software that came w/the Cam.nothing special.But I think the shot was taken in' sport mode'

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you think of this shot ? Taken with the same Nikon cam.I didn't edit it at all. I Just sent it off to LG photo prints.com to have it enlarged.Final size is 24"X36".
020.JPG

OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
What do you think of this shot ? Taken with the same Nikon cam.I didn't edit it at all. I Just sent it off to LG photo prints.com to have it enlarged.Final size is 24"X36".
View attachment 1528953

Wow! One of the most beautiful cars ever made!!! That's what's wrong with being poor ... I don't have one!

Then again, my reflexes aren't what they used to be when I was a kid, so it might be dangerous for me now.

Photography is really nice too. That your ride?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! One of the most beautiful cars ever made!!! That's what's wrong with being poor ... I don't have one!

Then again, my reflexes aren't what they used to be when I was a kid, so it might be dangerous for me now.

Photography is really nice too. That your ride?

Yeah that's my baby.But your too kind.Photography is a learned art, and I'm still, just a student.One thing tho Digital is a Vast improvement over the ol 'film' days.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I use Gimp for Linux, which is free. I get old photos here in rural Mexico, sometimes badly damaged over the last 125 or so years. Do repairs then print them for the families so they are not lost. It is a good use of spare time.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I use Corel Paint Shop X7. I'm only able to scratch the surface of this program, but what I can do is great. First photo is a picture I took of a buzzard. Note the electrical wire running across behind the critter. First picture is almost out of the camera, I reduced the size in order to load it in this forum.
Buzzard3B.jpg
Second picture I cut the bird out to get rid of extra tree, and removed the wire, used the automatic enhancement which adjusts color and sharpens the picture a bit.
Buzzard3A.jpg

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's another that I played with as a joke. A friend bought a Corvette, and we were teasing him about buying the car to pick up chicks. First another fellow and I did the sign, and I took a picture of it with my phone, and the Corvette photo was also taken with my phone. I had to email them from the phone to my computer, and then put them in Corel Photo Shop X7.
First, here is the sign.
dave.jpg
Then I cut the sign out in the program.
dave3.jpg
Photo of the car.
dave2.jpg
And finally I finally photo shopped the sign onto the car. We all got a big laugh out of it.
dave4.jpg
It's a little crude, but I wasn't trying to be slick, just joking. You can also see that I did just a little adjusting on the light and sharpness.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chadeaux

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Here's another that I played with as a joke. A friend bought a Corvette, and we were teasing him about buying the car to pick up chicks. First another fellow and I did the sign, and I took a picture of it with my phone, and the Corvette photo was also taken with my phone. I had to email them from the phone to my computer, and then put them in Corel Photo Shop X7.
First, here is the sign.
View attachment 1530617
Then I cut the sign out in the program.
View attachment 1530618
Photo of the car.
View attachment 1530619
And finally I finally photo shopped the sign onto the car. We all got a big laugh out of it.
View attachment 1530620
It's a little crude, but I wasn't trying to be slick, just joking. You can also see that I did just a little adjusting on the light and sharpness.

Paintshop has a couple of tools that would work well if you were trying to do a fancier job on that one. Perspective correction can be used to remove perspective an create a flat piece of paper. Warp brush / warp mesh could actually be used to get the sign to "conform" to the curves of the car.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread