tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are some I took of the frozen Midwest over the last few days. 1st is the Platte river somewhere in the NE part of Colorado.. 2nd is an old filling station in Menlo, Iowa where my dad grew up and graduated high school. I have a picture of that high school on his class graduation picture which is just one page, as there's maybe only 15 people that graduated that year. Someone in town said that school was no longer there and was torn down around the 1980's they though?.. 3rd is a building that was once a bank in Stuart, Iowa my great aunt worked at when she was around 18 or 19. She would tell the story of a day in April of 1934 when Clyde Barrow and Henry Methvin entered the bank for a stickup. Another family story told was that Stuart was a railroad town in the 19th century and my Great, Great grandpa was a maintenance worker for the railroad. He was out going over a steam locomotive with his foreman sitting on a track that was parallel to the one that had the train he was looking at. When he was done talking to the boss, he didn't hear a freight train coming along side of the parked locomotive and went and stepped right in front of this barreling down the track freight train. That was the end of great great grandpa that day. Good thing he fathered my Great Grandpa before all that, because if he hadn't there'd be no me.. 4th is the frozen Missouri river up in Blair, Nebraska.. 5th is a toll house coming again out of Iowa and into Plattsmouth, Nebraska. There's an old man and dog in that toll house that collected 6 bits from me. That's pretty cheap compared to the tolls around here. Plattsmouth is just south of the mouth of the Platte river where it enters the Missouri and on July 21, 1804 the Lewis & Clark expedition reached this point going up the Missouri river. Last picture is an old cabin said to have been erected in 1869. I see so many old abandoned 19th century cabins out here in the west and I've always thought it be cool to restore one to its' former glory. You just can't duplicate that age and patina of an old 100+ year old log cabin. Today is gonna be a high of 57 here at home and that sure makes me happy to be once again back closer to the sun.

Attachments

• trip 011818 1.jpg
    trip 011818 1.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 49
  • trip 011818 2.jpg
    trip 011818 2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 61
  • trip 011818 3.jpg
    trip 011818 3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
  • trip 011818 4.jpg
    trip 011818 4.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 56
  • trip 011818 5.jpg
    trip 011818 5.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 73
  • trip 011818 6.jpg
    trip 011818 6.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great pictures, and a fun trip back in time.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures, and a fun trip back in time.
Yeah sometimes I think I wished I lived in those days traveling by a paddle boat up the Missouri heading to Ft. Benton Montana to sell all those miners up there all the stuff they'd need, but if I was back in those times I most likely would have been thinking, Lord I can't wait till they finish the railroad up to Montana, so I don't have to be stuck for days on this slow moving miserable boat that can't move fast enough away from all the swarms of mosquitoes.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That square-log cabin is beautiful! Dove-tailed joints carefully fit to
one another show the craftsmanship that existed back in those days.

Amazing to think that was someone's home for many years, and the
times they went through living there. If only the walls could talk!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Great photos of your road trip. Thanks for sharing your historical knowledge of them. How is your mama's toe healing? I know in elderly people, a broken toe could end up quite critical. I pray she's recuperating well.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photos of your road trip. Thanks for sharing your historical knowledge of them. How is your mama's toe healing? I know in elderly people, a broken toe could end up quite critical. I pray she's recuperating well.
Thanks WD, Sure her toe will be okay. I believe I'll be going back here again to help in relocating her to a place she'll be getting more help. Life's getting a little tough on her now at her age.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a cute li'l toll house. Would look a lot nicer if not for the barrels, but I s'pose they're not brave enough to trust the "licensed drivers" in that area. *lol*

Love the cabin and the river scenes, too!!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cute li'l toll house. Would look a lot nicer if not for the barrels, but I s'pose they're not brave enough to trust the "licensed drivers" in that area. *lol*

Love the cabin and the river scenes, too!!
It looks like that toll house been there for some time and I'm sure they wanna keep it that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread