Snake River

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Took these yesterday.

Kids these days don't know how good they have it....These had to be chiseled into the rocks, because they didn't have access to spray paint......They say these are three to five thousand years old.......There is a lot of discussion about the profound meaning of these.......Personally, I think they mean something like, " Class of 2089BC Rocks and kix butt! "

Seriously though, I think the one that looks like a goat with long horns, depicts a native Ibex that once was native to the area.

Attachments

• 0477.JPG
    0477.JPG
    254.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 0422.JPG
    0422.JPG
    272.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 0433.JPG
    0433.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 03888.JPG
    03888.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 78

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess we'll really never know for sure what all that meant to those ancient cultures. Once I was watching a show on the paintings in the Lascaux cave in France done thousands of years ago. They talked about how the art was a ancient spiritual thing to these people. I had a thought that the place was maybe an institution of higher learning and that's where the young men went to be educated in the ways of hunting and weaponology of the time. The elders were pretty much all the youth of that time had to pass on all the knowledge of the day from one generation to the next as they didn't record thing in writing like today. We know there were new Innovations, such as the transition from the atlatl to the bow and arrow. I would think the introduction of the bow and arrow, must have been like the cross bow to the match lock and that gun to the flint lock and so on to the high tech weapons we have today. Not sure it was really all about some kind of hocus pocus to these people?

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never understood the need to go around spreading graffiti all over the place. ...Guess I've never felt the need to "mark my turf", or to otherwise deface nature or someone's property in order to proclaim my undying love for my girlfriend-of-the-week.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. That third one's very interesting, but I need to do some research to get a clue about what it means.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool. That third one's very interesting, but I need to do some research to get a clue about what it means.

If you can read ANY of it, you're doin' better than me! :3some:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can read ANY of it, you're doin' better than me! :3some:
haha! I don't know about all of them, but some rock art can be interpreted. In Utah near Moab there's a couple that are basically road signs, and you can follow them to a former village site. Another one directs you where to climb up to get on the plateau above the Colorado River. There's some thought that when you see that Kokopelli glyph, that meant that a trader passed through there on a regular basis, and associated glyphs gave you the time of his passing. I think a lot of them are of the 'Kilroy was here' type, though.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
haha! I don't know about all of them, but some rock art can be interpreted. In Utah near Moab there's a couple that are basically road signs, and you can follow them to a former village site. Another one directs you where to climb up to get on the plateau above the Colorado River. There's some thought that when you see that Kokopelli glyph, that meant that a trader passed through there on a regular basis, and associated glyphs gave you the time of his passing. I think a lot of them are of the 'Kilroy was here' type, though.

Huh. That makes sense. Kind of a universal sign language. Do this, don't do that, eat at Joe's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread