Ranch and petroglyphs

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Another composition of the landscape on the Snake River, and a few more petroglyphs. Learned from my friend that the one that looks like a long horned goat depicts an Ibex that was once native to the area.....He told me the one that looks like a man holding a wand with a ball on each end is some kind of spirit thing found in other parts of the country. No idea about the other one........

My friend told me that barn was built in 1890, and some horse thieves lived and operated from there.....I posted this to our local facebook group of about 1200 members and almost mentioned the horse thieves....Was really glad I didn't when a lady responded to the facebook post.
Here's a copy and paste of her response : Love these pictures. My Great Grandmother was born there and her father farmed A flat field just down from there is his old hay field.

Attachments

• 2001.JPG
    2001.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 050000.JPG
    050000.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 0433333.JPG
    0433333.JPG
    270.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 03444.JPG
    03444.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 42

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
I like the petroglyphs. I’m sorry I missed your other thread. Those are one of those things I wish I could travel back in time to really see what was going on. Sounds like you missed a FB embarrassing moment.:laughing9:
That is a beautiful photo!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huh! I've never read that there were Ibex in North America before. I have read that during the last Ice Age there were lots of different animals that are no longer around today. Great pictures of a unique area. The Snake River really rose high 15,000 years ago, during an event known as the Bonneville flood. That flood is believed to be the second largest in known geologic history. Wish I had more of a reason to travel up and around the Snake River. A few times I've traveled to Wallace Idaho from Salt Lake City, but it's been a while now.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics, I love Idaho, it is so scenic. I camped at the bottom of Snake river canyon at what was called Hells canyon area once in 1978, talk about dark and desolate, we could not see another artificial light in any direction, when the sun went behind the mountains it got dark quickly, at night you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. The sturgeon in the river were also huge too.

We were on a tour of western US when we left Yellowstone we headed west to Sun Valley and the Sawtooth National Rec area then south to Craters of The Moon and then NW, we were on our way to Cascades Nation Park in Washington, once there we decided to take the coast line drive down to LA stopping at all the scenic sites along the way and all the National parks.

OP
OP
ronwoodcraft

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Huh! I've never read that there were Ibex in North America before. I have read that during the last Ice Age there were lots of different animals that are no longer around today. Great pictures of a unique area. The Snake River really rose high 15,000 years ago, during an event known as the Bonneville flood. That flood is believed to be the second largest in known geologic history. Wish I had more of a reason to travel up and around the Snake River. A few times I've traveled to Wallace Idaho from Salt Lake City, but it's been a while now.
I just did a google search and couldn't find anything about ibex in the area. Just passing on what my friend who lives near there told me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just did a google search and couldn't find anything about ibex in the area. Just passing on what my friend who lives near there told me.
Well one thing we know, the artist didn't copy it out of a book. [emoji16]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread