Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree20Likes
  • 13 Post By RGINN
  • 3 Post By RGINN
  • 1 Post By Stringtyer
  • 1 Post By tamrock
  • 1 Post By RGINN
  • 1 Post By diggingthe1

Thread: Turtle Rock, CO

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
    5890 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Turtle Rock, CO

I've always suspected there may be a couple of prehistoric camp sites in this locale so I went down today to do a little surface surveying. Snow cover kinda put that out of the question, but still a great day to be out. I already felt like there were prehistoric residents around that feature, rather than down in the river valley, but did a little research and found out that about 15 years ago BLM busted a guy who they observed digging up a native burial and using a sifter to recover several artifacts and bones. I hadn't known that before the other day, but after looking around maybe I found his sifter? I won't say anything about a grave location, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-23c.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	1540566   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-23e.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	1540567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-23f.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	1540568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-23g.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	1540569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-23h.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	1540570  

Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    5890 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    ...and in that second pic, I always thought that particular rock looked like a pig. But I can't find anybody who agrees with me. Maybe they never raised pigs.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Jul 2017
    The Old North State
    Equinox 600 Tesoro Cutlass Bounty Hunter Tracker II
    343 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RGINN View Post
    ...and in that second pic, I always thought that particular rock looked like a pig. But I can't find anybody who agrees with me. Maybe they never raised pigs.

Agreed, the rock does look a bit porcine. Would make a mighty tough BBQ.
    RGINN likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    10056 times
    Nice photographs RGINN (especially the tunnel shot). Thanks for sharing...
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

TreasureNet

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    13336 times
    Finally got a little more ice on that river. That sifter looks like it's been sitting out there for sometime? Can you at least tell me if the burial site is on the other side of the river from where your at? I know there's 2 mound stacks of a particular kind of rock. Those rocks were taken from one area and placed in another and for years now I've wondered who would have done that? Was it a burial site or did somebody stash something there using these particular kindof rocks as an indicator?? When I first saw those two mounds, something in me said Huh! ... I herd a story of a couple of prospectors placer mining up by Granite. One of the miners headed to Salida for some more supplies. On his return he ran into his partner then heading to Salida who told his partner he was feeling pretty sick, but not to worry, because he stashed the two flasks of gold- mercury amalgam in a place where fire nor water will harm them. When the sick prospector made it to the doctor in Salida he then died of a ruptured spleen and his partner could never find where he stashed the gold they had recovered further up the river. I've often wondered if someone else would ever recognize what I saw back in the 1980s as I roamed around many wonderful days through that area. It was just me and Lucky the Blue Healer and we'd rarely see another sole back then. These days there's folks crawling all over that country so I've never gotten back there to see if what I found back then is still there left undisturbed.
    Last edited by tamrock; Jan 27, 2018 at 06:20 AM.
    RGINN likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Sis

Jun 2017
    Ohio
    AT MAX, Delta 4000
    9227 times
    While I enjoy reading about all the treasures, my main interest is digging up the history of my farm
    Beautiful photos, RGINN. Thanks for sharing.

John 15:12-13

12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.

us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    5890 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrock View Post
    Finally got a little more ice on that river. That sifter looks like it's been sitting out there for sometime? Can you at least tell me if the burial site is on the other side of the river from where your at? I know there's 2 mound stacks of a particular kind of rock. Those rocks were taken from one area and placed in another and for years now I've wondered who would have done that? Was it a burial site or did somebody stash something there using these particular kindof rocks as an indicator?? When I first saw those two mounds, something in me said Huh! ... I herd a story of a couple of prospectors placer mining up by Granite. One of the miners headed to Salida for some more supplies. On his return he ran into his partner then heading to Salida who told his partner he was feeling pretty sick, but not to worry, because he stashed the two flasks of gold- mercury amalgam in a place where fire nor water will harm them. When the sick prospector made it to the doctor in Salida he then died of a ruptured spleen and his partner could never find where he stashed the gold they had recovered further up the river. I've often wondered if someone else would ever recognize what I saw back in the 1980s as I roamed around many wonderful days through that area. It was just me and Lucky the Blue Healer and we'd rarely see another sole back then. These days there's folks crawling all over that country so I've never gotten back there to see if what I found back then is still there left undisturbed.
    That particular one's on the east side of the river higher up. Probably lots of others around in the area. I'm interested in figuring out if there was a permanent type camp in the area.
    tamrock likes this.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

Feb 2015
    Victor, CO...City of Mines
    Minelab EQ800, Ex2
    1834 times
    Great pictures! There was a lot of activity where Trout Creek drops in a little more to the south. I would like to stumble upon some places where Weston pass comes into the Arkansas river. It sure must be nice getting out in those hills exploring!
    tamrock likes this.

us
    Grant Brandenburg

Jan 2013
    Colorado
    Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
    13336 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RGINN View Post
    That particular one's on the east side of the river higher up. Probably lots of others around in the area. I'm interested in figuring out if there was a permanent type camp in the area.
    I'm pretty sure permanent camps where around there. It was after all the edge of the banana belt, with many days of sunshine. Seems to me a great place to set up a large camp. I'll bet it got real busy during the years the pinõn trees produced in that area. I use to head out to gather pinõn nuts when the trees around there where producing.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links